BDS IN THE PEWS
Israeli Committee against House Demolitions (ICAHD)
January 08, 2014
- Website: http://www.icahd.org/
- Founded in 1997, located in Jerusalem.
- According to its mission statement, ICAHD aims “to end Israel’s Occupation over the Palestinians” and “oppose and resist Israeli demolition of Palestinian houses in the Occupied Territories.”
- Funding: According to its website, “Donors” (amounts and dates unavailable) include: European Union, Spain, Trocaire, NGO Development Center (joint funding of Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands), UNDP, World Vision, Mennonite Central Committee (accessed January 6, 2014).
- Recent financial details are not available on the NGO’s website, on independent nonprofit tracking websites, or on the website of the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits, reflecting a lack of transparency and accountability (accessed January 6, 2013).
- ICAHD USA reported a 2011 revenue of $144,981. The branch raises money for the NGO and conducts politicized advocacy tours.
- In 2013, ICAHD reportedly closed its Jerusalem office, due to a lack of funds.
- Political Advocacy: ICAHD’s rhetoric includes accusations of “ethnic cleansing,” “genocide,” “collective punishment,” and “apartheid.”
- Active in promoting the BDS (boycotts, divestments and sanctions) campaign against Israel.
- Explicitly advocates for the end of the state of Israel as the nation state of the Jewish people, stating that “the only option for resolving the conflict [is] a one-state solution.”
- Director Jeff Halper has said (2008): “I think it is impossible to have a Jewish state” and that that a bi-national state is the only remaining option resulting from Israel’s “futile attempt to impose an apartheid regime.”
- ICAHD is a “Partner” of the 2013 “Bethlehem Unwrapped” Christmas Festival in London, which exploits Christmas themes to demonize Israel. The festival features a life-size replica of Israel’s security barrier and aims to go “behind the romanticised Christmas card images of the ancient city to show what life is like for people in Bethlehem today.”
- In December 2013, wrote a letter to the European Union, together with the European Coordination Committees and Associations for Palestine, maintaining that only “ a zero-tolerance policy towards such cruel [Israeli] actions as home demolitions and illegal settlement construction, will in the end force Israel to relinquish its occupation altogether.”
- Planning a summer 2014 “Rebuilding Camp”, inviting international students to “strengthen [their] involvement in the global movement to end home demolitions” and “rebuild a Palestinian home that was demolished by Israeli authorities.”Halper has participated in many activities under the framework of “Israel Apartheid Week” around the world. For example, in Glasgow (2010), his theme was “Israeli Apartheid: The Case For BDS,” including a reference to Palestinians “‘warehoused’ in Gaza”.
- Halper is also on the board of advisors of the Free Gaza Movement and a support committee member of the Russell Tribunal, a mock court with a radical anti-Israel and anti-West agenda.
- Regularly accuses Israel of maintaining a “Matrix of Control”, or "a maze of laws, military orders, planning procedures, limitations on movement, kafkaesque bureaucracy, settlements and infrastructure – augmented by prolonged and ceaseless low-intensity warfare – that serves to perpetuate the Occupation".
- ICAHD joined a group of Israeli NGOs in writing a letter (2009) to the Norwegian Government Pension Fund, as a part of Coalition of Women for Peace’s “Who Profits?” campaign, accusing a number of Israeli and international corporations of “provid[ing] specifically designed equipment for the surveillance and repression of Palestinian population through restrictions of movement and collective punishments.”
- ICAHD employee and Jerusalem Council member Meir Margalit published a book (published 2010), funded by the Spanish government, titled, Seizing Control of Space in East Jerusalem. Margalit accuses Israel of “ethnocratic policy of contempt for Arabs,” attempting to “wipe the Arab presence off the face of the earth,” and “colonialism.”
- St. James Church Creates a Barrier to Peace, Elana Shafran, The Jerusalem Post, January 2, 2014
- Bethlehem Unwrapped, NGO Monitor Factsheet, December 23, 2013
- "No, Mr. Halper, whoever incites against Israel does not want peace," Ben-Dror Yemini, Ma´ariv, May 22, 2009
- Summary of NGO Monitor analysis of ICAHD, NGO Monitor, April 30, 2009
- EU Funding Promotes ICAHD´s Ideological Agenda, NGO Monitor, March 26, 2007
- An Interview With Jeff Halper: As Israelis, We Also Fight for Palestinians", Iwasaki Atsuko, Counterpunch.com, April 03, 2006