BDS IN THE PEWS
Applied Research Institute Jerusalem (ARIJ)
July 22, 2013
- Website: http://www.arij.org/
- Founded in 1990, Applied Research Institute-Jerusalem (ARIJ) is a “non-profit organization dedicated to promoting sustainable development in the occupied Palestinian territories and the self-reliance of the Palestinian people through greater control over their natural resources.”
- Funding: Budget of $4.5 million in 2011, the majority of which comes from foreign governments, including Spain, the EU, UK, Sweden, and Australia.
|Catholic Relief Services (United States)
|Australian Agency International
|United Kingdom Development for International Development
|Dan Church Aid (Denmark)
- Among the leaders of the political warfare against Israel, seeking to further boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS), false accusations of Israeli “apartheid” and “racism,” and support for a Palestinian “right of return”, which is inconsistent with two-state solution.
- Employs attack rhetoric of “ethnic cleansing,” “transfer,” “land grab,” “colonialization activities” in publications and claims Israel guilty of “excessive and disproportionate violations of every existing humanitarian code”.
- Seeks to map “communities targeted by Israeli activities on the ground to help assess the magnitude of the occurred damages and derive conclusions” and “obtain visual illustration of changes and damages” in order to convey such findings to “Palestinian decision makers, foreign representatives and the public at large.”
- Works with the Palestinian Ministry of National Economy to establish a “systematic quantification of the annual costs imposed by the Israeli occupation on the Palestinian economy” in the field of water and environment management.
- Activities contradict the claims by ARIJ to “evaluate needs” and promote “sustainable development” in Palestinian areas, and are incompatible with advancing a two-state solution.
- Published a 32-page “Christmas Alert” in 2012 (together with Kairos Palestine, a central actor in promoting BDS in churches and Christian organizations), including comparing Palestinians today with the “Parable of the Vineyard and the Tenants,” invoking classic antisemitic deicide themes, and casting Israeli Jews as “evil tenants” and the Palestinians as Jesus.
- Co-authored a submission in January 2013 to the Human Rights Council accusing Israel of accusations of “violence, verbal and physical abuses, inhumane and degrading treatments, forced evictions, land and property grabbing, destruction of property and housing.”
- Cooperated with the radical Alternative Information Center in May 2013 for an event regarding “the Apartheid Wall Israel in the Cremisan Valley near Beit Jalla, a town adjacent to Bethlehem.”
- In December 2008 issued a publication calling Jerusalem’s mayor a “racist” who supports “ethnic cleansing.”
- Organized a project, funded by the European Union, “Monitoring Israeli Colonizing activities in the Palestinian West Bank and Gaza,” aimed at “inspecting and scrutinizing Israeli colonizing activities in their different forms in the Palestinian West Bank and Gaza.”
- Member of the Palestinian Grassroots Anti-Apartheid Wall Coalition (PGAAWC), which focuses on “stopping and dismantling the Apartheid Wall and resisting Israeli occupation and colonization.”
- Issues frequent reports to “shed the light on the Israeli violations taking place in the occupied Palestinian territory against lands and properties along with a map depicting the location of the affected areas.” Images of barbed wire accompany the reports.