HaMoked - Center for the Defense of the Individual
- Website: www.hamoked.org.il/index_en.asp
- Established in 1988, based in Jerusalem
- HaMoked aims to “to assist Palestinians subjected to the Israeli occupation which causes severe and ongoing violation of their rights.”
- In 2006-2009, the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $536,085 to HaMoked (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009).
- Major funders include: European Commission, UK, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Spain, Ford Foundation, Open Society Institute, the NGO Development Center, and Diakonia.
- Total donations in 2007: NIS 5,805,567. Over 70% from foreign governments (information received from the Israeli Registry for Non-profits).
- HaMoked’s Online Legal Library (in “co-operation with Diakonia”) includes documents that provide a distorted view or incorrect analysis of international law in order to criminalize Israeli actions, such as the false claim that “phosphorous and cluster bombs” are “illegal weapons prohibited by International Humanitarian Law.”
- HaMoked submitted a written statement to the Goldstone Commission, together with other Israeli NGOs, that did not address alleged war crimes by Hamas, “but rather offers our own distinct perspective – human rights violations for which Israel must be held accountable.” The NGOs make the unsupported claim that “[t]o the extent that this was planned as a punitive operation which main purpose was not the achievement of actual military objectives, but the inflicting of deliberate damage as a deterrent and punitive measure.”
- HaMoked has claimed that “[t]he seam area [area between the Green Line and the security barrier] regime creates a clear separation between Israelis and holders of Israeli visas and Palestinians from the Territories and as such, constitutes the crime of apartheid.”
- In a 2009 petition about the security barrier, HaMoked wrote that that the case constituted “apartheid” and claimed that “there is no difference between the regime at issue in this petition...and the racial segregation regime in the southern states of the USA in the first half of the 20th century” (translated from the original Hebrew).
- Also accuses Israel of “collective punishment” and the “ghetto-ization of the West Bank” (translated from the original Hebrew).
- In 2006, Israel’s State Prosecutor concluded that HaMoked’s “self-presentation as ‘a human rights organization’ has no basis in reality and is designed to mislead.”
- Claims in B´tselem/Hamoked report lack credibility, NGO Monitor, May 07, 2007
- Israeli State Prosecutor Recognises Bias of Israeli Human Rights NGOs,
HaMoked and B´Tselem, NGO Monitor, March 23, 2006
- "HaMoked" 2002 Annual Report: Putting Israel on the Stake, NGO Monitor,
July 15, 2003