November 29, 2010
Click here for a printable version of this factsheet [PDF]
- Co-founder and executive director of Electronic Intifada
- Abunimah is a leading advocate of the one-state solution. To actualize this, he says “coercion is necessary,” and dismisses Jewish concerns of living under an Arab majority as “irrational, racist fears.”
- He acknowledges that in a one-state solution “we couldn’t rule out some disastrous situation” (4:43) for Jews.
- Labels PA President Mahmud Abbas and Prime Minister Salam Fayyad as “collaborators”, and PA participation in peace talks as “collaboration.” Collaboration is punishable by death in the PA and Gaza.
- In a conference in Madrid on the one-state solution, Abunimah refers to Peace Now as a “right-wing Zionist racist group” (Arab World Geographer, Vol 10, No 1, 2007).
- On his personal Twitter account, Abunimah accuses Israel of ethnic cleansing and of being “white supremacist,” calls Israeli settlements “Jim Crow colonies,” refers to the Shin Bet (Israel’s General Security Service) as a “death squad,” and calls people of color “schwarzers.”
- Wrote, “It's racist to think Jews need a special state and can't live with other people. Aren't they human like the rest of us.”
- Says Zionism “is one of the worst forms of anti-Semitism in existence today,” claiming that it “dehumanizes its victims, denies their history, and has a cult-like worship of ethnoracial purity” (Twitter; October 26, 2010). He also wrote “That is something Zionism shares with anti-Semitism, a disdain for actual Jewish culture and life as it existed,” and “Zionism is a distortion of Judaism. We must not blame Jews.”
- Refers to Israel’s self-defense policy in Gaza as an “attempted genocide.”
- Holocaust references appear frequently in his comments. He calls Gaza a “ghetto for surplus non-Jews,” compares the Israeli press to “Der Sturmer,” and claims “Supporting Zionism is not atonement for the Holocaust, but its continuation in spirit.” He calls Gaza a “concentration camp” and repeated a claim that IDF statements are the words “of a Nazi.”
- Publicized a pirated list of Israeli soldiers allegedly involved in the Gaza War, containing personal details such as home address and ID numbers. The list encourages “people to seek out other such similar information, it is readily available… inside public officials' locked cabinets.”
- Defends Hamas’ policy blocking ICRC visits to Israeli captive Gilad Shalit.
- Abunimah is a founding steering committee member of Al Awda, the Palestinian Right of Return Coalition.
Click here for more information on Electronic Intifada