BDS IN THE PEWS
Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions (COHRE)
February 20, 2008
- website: www.cohre.org/
- funding: according to its website, “COHRE's major donors include the Ford Foundation, the Swedish International Development Agency, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland, Cordaid [Holland], Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the European Union, Misereor and others.” (COHRE in the past has partnered with The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung–FES, though it does not list this on its website.)
- key staff: COHRE's Executive Director and Founder, Scott Leckie, is a former staff member at the PLO's Palestinian Negotiations Support Unit.
- claimed status and mission:
- “The Centre on Housing Rights and Evictions (COHRE) is an independent, non-governmental, not-for-profit human rights organization. COHRE is registered in the Netherlands, and coordinates its global activities from its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland…COHRE is the leading international human rights organization campaigning for the protection of housing rights and the prevention of forced evictions.”
- according to its website, “COHRE's work is carried out in part by eight regional and thematic programmes. Regional programmes currently exist in Africa, the Americas and the Asia-Pacific region. Thematic programmes focus on women and housing rights, housing and property restitution, housing rights litigation, the right to water and monitoring and preventing forced evictions.