Sikkuy: The Association for the Advancement of Civic Equality
|In their own words||A “shared organization of Jewish and Arab citizens, working to implement full equality on all levels between the Arab Palestinian and Jewish citizens of Israel.”|
- 2013 budget of NIS 4,303,323 (latest available; accessed April 26, 2015).
- According to its website, “Funders – 2014-15” include European Union, USAID, New Israel Fund (NIF), and Brian Lurie (president of NIF, listed separately).
- According to financial information submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non Profits, in accordance with the Israeli NGO transparency law, Sikkuy received NIS 840,989 from foreign governmental bodies in 2013 and NIS 1,417,077 in 2012 (latest available; accessed May 12, 2015). Financial information from 2014 and 2015 is not available on the website of the Israeli Registrar; it is unknown whether this is because Sikkuy failed to report funds in recent years as mandated by the law or whether the Registrar failed to post the information. (See table below for available funding information.)
- Sikkuy received a grant of $1,061,275 (2011-2014) from USAID and an additional grant of $898,898 (2013-2016) for a program to “develop tourism programs that will bring large numbers of Jewish Israelis, particularly youth and women, to visit Arab community” (sub-award to MEJDI).
- In 2011-2013 the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $557,585 to Sikkuy (2013, 2012, 2011).
- “[W]orks with the government, local authorities, and the public to achieve far-reaching change in government policy toward Arab citizens.”
- While Sikkuy’s focus is on ending discrimination towards the Arab sector, a portion of its work contributes to the delegitimization of Israel.
- Regularly accuses Israel of “racism” and presents views based on the Palestinian narrative of victimization, often completely omitting Israeli perspectives and legitimate national security concerns.
- Signatory to the Haifa Declaration, which calls for the abolishing of the State of Israel, praises “resistance”, and accuses Israel of manipulating the memory of the Holocaust for political purposes.
- Co-executive director Ron Gerlitz has published numerous articles in +972 Magazine, including one titled “Why Palestinian citizens of Israel are no longer safe,” which falsely accuses Israel of “systematic discrimination,” “profound racism”- which he claims is “of course  nothing new”- and alleging that “[r]ight-wing leaders have sent clear and unmistakable message to Palestinian citizens of Israel: If you don’t shut up you’ll come to a bitter end.”
- Published a 2009 “Equality Index” which makes unfounded allegations about “fears for the democratic regime” in Israel, and suggests that “morality,” “values,” and “democracy” are not part of Israeli “politics and the political discourse.” This rhetoric is a central component of contemporary delegitimization campaigns and attempts to manipulate the Israeli democratic process.
Financial information based on quarterly reports submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits (amounts in NIS)
All Articles about Sikkuy: The Association for the Advancement of Civic Equality