Israeli Human Rights NGOs Support Al Haq, Ignore Human Rights
Yesterday (March 15, 2016), 15 Israeli NGOs published a “Statement of Solidarity” with the Palestinian NGO Al Haq1. According to the statement, Al Haq has been the target of “ongoing anonymous attacks…directly connected to Al Haq’s ongoing work before the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague,” as part of the “recurring attempts to undermine and harm the legitimacy and the efforts of all those who are fighting against the occupation.”
NGO Monitor research reveals that Al Haq has various questionable issues tied to it, which the Israeli NGOs ignore:
- Al Haq is a leader in the anti-Israel “lawfare” campaign. It has submitted legal opinions on three separate occasions to the ICC, accusing Israel of war crimes and worse. The NGO regularly files lawsuits and submits politically motivated reports to the UN Human Rights Council and other international bodies.
- It is also a leader in BDS (boycotts, divestments and sanctions) campaigns, including against Orange, Dutch pension funds, and the Israeli water carrier “Mekorot.”
- Al Haq’s General Director, Shawan Jabarin, has been denied exit visas by Israel and Jordan on account of his alleged ties to the PFLP terrorist organization.
- Proposed sabotaging the Israeli court system by “flooding the [Israeli Supreme] Court with petitions in the hope of obstructing its functioning and resources.”
- After the abduction and murder of three Israeli teenagers, the NGO stated that “three Israeli teenage settlers disappeared near the West Bank city of Hebron. The three individuals were later found dead” (emphasis of passive language added).
- Al Haq shares funders with many of the Israeli NGO signatories (see table below).
For further reading on al-Haq click here
- Signatories: Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), Adalah, Akevot, Bimkom, B’Tselem -The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories, Coalition of Women for Peace, Gisha, Hamoked: Center for the Defence of the Individual, Human Rights Defenders Fund, Kav LaOved, Machsom Watch, Physicians for Human Rights-Israel, the Public Committee Against Torture in Israel, Rabbis for Human Rights, and Yesh Din.