- Founded by a group of Palestinian lawyers in 1990.
- Goals were to “promote human rights and further the principles of the rule of law, and to defend Palestinian rights in accordance with international human rights law and United Nations declarations….protect human rights through an intensive program of documenting and following up abuses and through providing legal and financial help to people in need.”
- Organized workshops and conferences “in order to raise human rights awareness and to strengthen community involvement.”
- Produced a journal “to participate in the building of a democratic civil society through bringing human rights issues to the attention of the Palestinian community.”
- Active participant at the Durban Conference, playing central role in the steering committee and in pre-conference organizing.
- Following an independent audit, LAW’s executive director was accused of embezzling millions of dollars from donor funds. European governments and international foundations withdrew support, and the NGO ceased to function.