Palestinian Bar Association (PBA)
- The EU is the primary funder of the PBA, and the EU flag and symbols appear on the majority of PBA publications.
- In July 2015, the EU provided the PBA with a grant of €1 million.
- According to the website of the European External Action Service (EEAS), the EU provided the PBA with a grant of €1,420,486 (08/2011 to 08/2013) for a project, aimed at “strengthen[ing] the quality of its service towards Palestinian lawyers and promot[ing] public awareness about its work.”
- In 2013, the EU provided the PBA with a grant of €21 million “to build new courthouses and headquarters for Palestinian Bar Association.”
- In 2014, the PBA received a grant of $55,000 from the Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law Secretariat (joint funding from Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and the Netherlands) for a project aimed at “strengthen[ing] the Palestinian Bar Association constituency and Gaza legal community engagement in civilian protection to uphold human rights and promote access of victims to justice.”
- The Palestinian Bar Association is a statutory body that regulates the practice of law in the Palestinian Authority.Does not recognize the existence of the State of Israel, and in a July 8, 2013 interview, PBA Chairman Hussein Shabaneh stated: “In the Bar Association we say: ‘From the [Jordan] River to the [Mediterranean] Sea.’ We don’t recognize Israel’s existence at all.” (emphasis added)
- Article 27 of PBA’s “Laws and Regulations” establishes a special committee within the PBA called “the anti-normalization committee,” rejecting all cooperation with the State of Israel and Israeli citizens.
- In October 2015, PBA awarded an honorary law degree to Muhammad Halabi, who killed two Israelis and injured two others, including a 2-year old child, in a stabbing attack in the Old City of Jerusalem on October 3, 2015. The PBA referred to Halabi as a “Heroic Martyr.”
- Shabaneh posted on a message (undated) on PBA’s website, calling for legal warfare against Israel, “The primary goal is to end the occupation and its illegal and immoral practices, continuous expansion of settlements, the apartheid Wall, land confiscation, and house demolition. These practices contradict with basic human rights… And we will contribute as lawyers to provide legal support required to expose the practices of the occupation and documenting its crimes before international and legal bodies.” (emphasis added)
- On October 12, 2015, organized a demonstration at an IDF checkpoint near Ramallah, resulting in a violent confrontation with the Israeli army.
- PBA lawyers joined an August 2015 hunger strike in solidarity with prisoner Mohammed Allan, who was arrested on suspicion of terrorist activity on behalf of Islamic Jihad, a designated terror organization by the EU and US.
All Articles about Palestinian Bar Association (PBA)