Curt Goering is the head of the Gaza office of UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), as well as the Senior Deputy Executive Director of Amnesty USA. He has made numerous statements failing to differentiate between democracies and totalitarian regimes; repeatedly demonized Israeli responses to terror attacks, through false accusations and erasing the context; patronizingly excused or ignored deliberate murder of Israelis; and distorting or inventing facts to promote his campaign. This behavior is highly immoral and exploits human rights in the discriminatory assault on Israel.
- Goering said, “There is no way to measure which is the worst when it comes to human rights violations: Gaza, Iraq, Afghanistan or Balochistan.” (Sept. 1, 2010)
- “Crush the will of a people to determine their future, even individuals whose advocacy is strictly nonviolent. Do it in the name of fighting terror and you won’t hear a word from us about it – Russia in Chechnya (or Chechens in Moscow), China in Xinjiang, Uzbekistan, Israel in the Occupied Territories.”
- Action letter on Gaza war (January 2009): “The U.S. government cannot continue this lop-sided blame on Hamas for the crisis. Ask Secretary Rice to urgently express deep concern about Israel’s disproportional response and its policies which have brought the Gaza Strip to the brink of humanitarian disaster.”
- On 2006 Lebanon war:
- “So when you have that kind of documentation from the state and you have the pattern of what’s happened on the ground and all those things taken together, we had to conclude that the destruction of civilian infrastructure and the direct attack on civilians was part of the war strategy of the Israelis. You can’t see the extent of the destruction and put those various ingredients together and not reach the conclusion that this was a deliberate attack and it’s not a byproduct of pursuing legitimate military objectives.”
- “And while it’s true that Hizballah had some of their offices there, administrative offices, it’s not even [that] the Israelis are arguing that Hizballah was firing rockets from that area and there was a lot of firing obviously going on from the south. But the weapons that Hizballah was using are pretty crude and indiscriminate and fairly short-ranged most of them. Some of them were heavier and medium-ranged, but they could have never reached Israel from the suburbs of Beirut.” (false claim)
- In March 2002 press conference, following Palestinian bus bombings and other attacks that killed hundreds of Israelis, Goering focused entirely on condemning Israeli responses and US weapons sales to Israel. He accused Israel of “serious human rights violations committed during Israel’s incursion” into Gaza, Bethlehem, Ramallah, and Tulkarem; and claimed, “Dozens of individuals have been needlessly killed…Further deaths and substantial unnecessary suffering occurred.”