Dr. Mads Gilbert: Norwegian-Funded Exploitation of Human Rights
Click here for more on Medical NGOs, Political Warfare and The Lancet.
- Dr. Mads Gilbert is a Norwegian doctor and member of Norwegian Aid Committee, NORWAC, an NGO funded by the Norwegian government.
- Gilbert is a former member of the fringe left Red Party in Norway, which has its roots in the country’s Communist Party. In 2007, he stood as the Red Party’s candidate in local elections in the town of Tromsoe.
- Gilbert was a signatory of the “Open Letter for the People of Gaza,” published in The Lancet medical journal (July 23, 2014), accusing Israel of “war crimes” and carrying out a propaganda campaign that “justifies the creation of an emergency to masquerade a massacre.” The letter made numerous unsubstantiated allegations, including accusing Israel of utilizing illegal weaponry to deliberately kill civilians and engaging in a “military onslaught on civilians in Gaza under the guise of punishing terrorists.” The letter also denies Israel’s right to self-defense and fails to mention Hamas rocket fire and terror tunnels from Gaza into Israeli territory.
- In July 2014, Gilbert wrote an “Open Letter” from Shifa hospital claiming that people that had been “maimed and torn apart” and that “We still have lakes of blood on the floor in the emergency room, piles of dripping blood soaked bandages to clear out. Cleaners are everywhere swiftly shoveling the blood and discarded tissues, hair, clothes, cannulas, and the leftovers from death – all taken away to be prepared again to be repeated all over.” He has further claimed that Israel was committing “state terrorism at the highest levels.”
- During the 2009 conflict and afterward, Gilbert repeatedly and falsely accused Israel of deliberately targeting civilians and invented allegations of use of illegal weapons, while making no mention of evidence that Al-Shifa hospital had been used for military purposes and also shielded the Hamas leadership. There is also evidence that he helped stage emergency room scenes for a “propaganda effect.”
- Gilbert justified the September 11, 2001 terror attacks and expressed sympathy for the terrorists, telling the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet: “The attack on New York did not come as a surprise after the policy that the West has led during the last decades…The oppressed also have a moral right to attack the USA with any weapon they can come up with.” When asked directly in the same interview, “Do you support a terror attack against the USA?,” Gilbert replied, “Terror is a bad weapon but the answer is yes within the context which I have mentioned.”
- Gilbert served as a “witness” for the Russell Tribunal on Palestine’s “Extraordinary Session” on “Israel’s Crimes in Gaza,” in Brussels, September 24, 2014. The Russell Tribunal has no judicial basis and exploits a legal facade in order to create an appearance of neutrality and credibility. The various Tribunal sessions have included “jurors” who examine expert “witnesses,” with the “findings” later published. As documented, the witnesses and jurors are biased, and the outcome is predetermined to fit the outcome of demonizing Israel with false accusations of “apartheid,” “collective punishment,” and “war crimes.”
- Israel has reportedly imposed a ban on Gilbert entering Gaza due to security concerns.