Skip to content
Amnesty International and Al Quds Andalucía - Joint Event Commemorating the “Nakba”
- On May 12, 2016, Amnesty International held an event together with Al Quds Andalucía, featuring Ahmad Jaradat and Sergio Yahni of the Alternative Information Center (AIC), and funded by the city of Malaga. The event was organized to mark the 68th anniversary of the “Nakba.” –describing the establishment of the State of Israel as a “catastrophe.”
- Al Quds Andalucía, or the “Al Quds Association for Solidarity with the People in Arab Countries,” is an openly anti-Israel political organization, based in Malaga, that promotes BDS.
- AIC is a radical Jerusalem-based political NGO that has called for “resistance,” and supports an embargo and sanctions on Israel. Co-founder of AIC Michel Warschawsky has compared Israeli officials to Nazis and was jailed in the 1990s for publishing an informational pamphlet for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine – a Marxist-Leninist organization designated a terrorist entity by the US, EU, Canada and Israel.
- As reported on Al Quds Andalucía’s website, at the event:
- Irene Carretero of Amnesty International alleged the harassment and persecution of activists and of human rights organizations on behalf of Israel, “to prevent them from supporting the BDS movement against apartheid” (NGO Monitor translation).
- Sergio Yahni spoke of the “origins of the Zionist regime of the State of Israel” and falsely claimed that a Zionist militia of Jews, “heavily armed, trained and made up of people from Europe” clashed with a Palestinian militia in 1948 that was its inferior “in number, armament and preparation” because Zionists had “killed or imprisoned all of their leaders.” According to Yahni “The colonization process began in 1948, but the Zionist policy of annexation of territories and ethnic cleansing continues ever since… They want to achieve a Great Israel, the dream of the Zionists, and the Palestinians are a stumbling block to be wiped off the map” (NGO Monitor translation).