Caabu (Council for Arab-British Understanding)
|In their own words||[T]o work for a British Middle East policy that promotes conflict resolution, human rights, and civil society in the Arab world through informed debate and mutual understanding.|
- 2012 total income of £204,709, £59,144 of which from donations; expenditures of £269,232 (latest available; accessed October 9, 2016).
- On its website, Caabu provides no information on its donors, reflecting a lack of transparency and accountability.
- The Council for Arab-British Understanding (Caabu) is a lobby group created “to address the lack of a clear voice in British politics that valued relations with the Arab world.” The organization furthers that it is “prepared to stand up for Arab and Palestinian rights.”
- Signed on a letter to the British government to “halt immediately the sale of arms” to Israel, listing it as one of a few “regimes that engage in repression.” States on this list include Bahrain, Morocco, and Yemen.
- Caabu lists Rt. Hon. Lord David Steel of Aikwood, Dr. Hanan Ashwari, and Rt. Hon Peter Hain MP as “patrons.”
- Dr. Hanan Ashwari is an Executive Committee Member of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO). Ashwari is also the founder of MIFTAH, a Palestinian NGO that has published antisemitic blood libels and referred to terror groups as “resistance fighters.”
- Caabu organizes “fact-finding” visits to the West Bank, together with Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP), to disseminate an anti-Israel narrative to British parliamentarians, journalists, and EU politicians. During one such visit in 2016, the group met with highly politicized groups, including Breaking the Silence, Al-Haq, BADIL, Gisha, and the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC).
- Accuses the British government of ignoring Israeli “land grabs, settlements, and home demolitions,” and that the country is in “explicit violations of international law.”
- Was a signatory to the 2012 report “Trading Away Peace” that repeats the BDS agenda, calling on the EU and individual European governments to wage political warfare through various forms of economic sanctions against Israel.
- Supported the EU’s decision to label Israeli products from the West Bank and Golan Heights.
- In June 2015, Caabu hosted a talk by Dr. Mads Gilbert about the 2014 Gaza War. Gilbert repeatedly and falsely accuses Israel of deliberately targeting civilians and invents allegations of use of illegal weapons.
Director of Caabu, Chris Doyle, published an article in Al Arabiya English accusing Israel of “an unprecedented level of hate, bigotry and even genocidal language.” Doyle claims that Israel is “stoking” incitement and hatred, and blames Israel for the continuation of the conflict.
- In 2010, Caabu organized a visit to the Gaza Strip for the delegation from the “Britain Palestine All Party Parliamentary Group.”
All Articles about Caabu (Council for Arab-British Understanding)