|Founded||1998 in Jerusalem by Hanan Ashrawi, member of the Palestinian Legislative Council.|
|In their own words||Seeks to “disseminate the Palestinian narrative,” “influence policy and legislation,” and “achieve a more supportive policy environment for reform and democratization in Palestine.”|
- 2013 budget of $1,194,627, of which $1,005,304 was donated by foreign governments and entities.
- 2012-13 donors include: International Republican Institute (United States), Norway, NGO Development Centre, United Nations Development Programme, Ireland, United Nations Population Fund, Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (Germany), National Endowment for Democracy (US), UN Women, Oxfam Novib (Netherlands), Arab Fund (Kuwait), U.S. Consulate and the British Council.
- In 2014-2016, Miftah received $330,000 from the Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law Secretariat (joint funding by Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, and the Netherlands) in core funding.
- In 2013, Miftah received EUR 70,000 from Ireland.
- In February 2014, Canada terminated a funding agreement with Miftah. According to Miftah, this followed Hanan Ashrawi’s attack against Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird’s for stating that the Palestinians are making a “huge mistake” by going to the ICC. Ashrawi said, “Israel is enabled by apologists like John Baird to persist with the support of self-appointed advocates who become complicit in these war crimes,” and alleged that “Canada is indulging in political blackmail at the expense of our civil society institutions.”
- In March 2013, published an article written by Nawaf al-Zaru that repeated the antisemitic blood libel that Jews use Christian blood to bake Passover matzah. After significant public criticism, MIFTAH removed the article, but attacked the blogger who exposed the article for “smearing” the organization and downplayed the centrality of the blood libel in the article.
- Described Wafa Idrees, one of the first female Palestinian suicide bombers, as “the beginning of a string of Palestinian women dedicated to sacrificing their lives for the cause.” Idrees detonated herself on January 27, 2002, killing 81 year-old Pinhas Takatli and wounding another 150 Israeli civilians. She is described as one of the “several young women” who “decided to join the ranks of the resistance movement.
- Miftah’s publications utilize the term “resistance fighters” to describe terror groups, and accuse Israel of perpetrating “massacres,” “cultural genocide,” “war crimes,” and “apartheid.”
- Hanan Ashrawi addressed the virulent 2001 UN Durban Conference, claiming to represent the Palestinian people, which she called a “nation in captivity held hostage to an ongoing Nakba, as the most intricate and pervasive expression of persistent colonialism, apartheid, racism, and victimization.”
- Continues to promote the prosecution of Israelis in international forums, asserting that “it is time that Israel is held accountable in international courts for the crimes it commits against Palestinians.”
- Publishes articles that advocate for BDS (boycotts, divestment, and sanctions) against Israel, alleging that “the BDS campaign calls for justice first, framing the conflict in terms of colonization, oppression and denial of the basic human rights of the Palestinian people.”
- Following the November 2012 vote at the United Nations to upgrade the status of the Palestinian Authority, Miftah organized “discussions at the political, legal and security level in addition to issues pertaining to organization and structure towards the realization of a Palestinian state, deterrence of Israeli occupation practices and holding Israel legally accountable.”
|Donor (Amounts in $US)||2012||2013||2014||2015
|International Republican Institute (US)||154,457||18,423||--||
|Representative Office of Norway||130,000||133,913||167,987||404,538
|NGO Development Centre||130,000||32,000||330,000||--
|United Nations Development Programme||70,477|| --||57,640||181,257
|The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ireland||66,680|| 96,285||87,360||--
|United Nations Population Fund||64,506||59,208||29,693||149,321
|Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (Germany)||44,702|| --|| -- ||--
|National Endowment for Democracy (US)||31,883|| --|| -- ||--
|UN Women||19,747|| --|| -- ||--
|Oxfam Novib (Netherlands)||5,272||587||406,623||128,605
|Arab Fund|| --||177,135||--||264,113
|U.S. Consulate|| --||175,000||--||--
|British Council|| --||269,422|| -- ||--
|Department for International Development (DFID; UK) / UK Aid || -- || -- ||--||1,485
|GIZ (Germany)|| -- || -- ||50,876||116,087
|Canada Fund|| -- || -- ||13,455||23,614
All Articles about Miftah