Palestinian Environmental NGOs Network- Friends of Earth Palestine (PENGON)
|Founded||1996; became a member in Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) in 2008.|
|In their own words||“A coordinating body among different Palestinian NGOs working in the field of environment.”|
- Aims to “coordinate Palestinian efforts, in order to resist and highlight the Israeli’s violations against Palestinian Environment, and Israel’s control on Palestinian natural resources.”
- According to its website, PENGON views “international advocacy as fundamental in its hopes to stop [Israeli] violations against our environment.”
- In contrast to the organization’s claims of promoting environmental agendas, PENGON regularly exploits environmental rhetoric, as well as water, land, and agricultural issues, in an effort to demonize and delegitimize Israel in the international arena.
- PENGON rhetoric includes accusations of “apartheid,” “ethnic cleansing,” “colonization,” and “war crimes.”
- In October 2016, PENGON was a signatory on a call to restaurant chefs to “Take Apartheid off the Menu” and cancel their participation in the Tel Aviv “Round Tables Tour” as Tel Aviv is “the center of Israel’s regime of occupation, settler-colonialism and apartheid and deeply complicit in whitewashing Israeli violations of Human Rights and International Law.”
- On September 1, 2016, PENGON signed a letter to the Italian Association of Farmers asking them to “rethink their sponsorship and participation” in the Israeli Watec Conference due to its “role in the grave violations of human rights and water rights” and compliance with the “water apartheid.”
- Issued a 2014 “Statement on Gaza,” accusing Israel of committing “daily massacres against Palestinian civilians in Gaza,” “war crimes,” “violations of international law,” “misus[ing] the notion of self-defense,” and maintaining that “Israel is nothing but a criminal entity that commits daily crimes against humanity and under cover of the entire world.”
- Published a September 2013 report, “Environmental Nakba: Environmental injustice and violations of the Israeli occupation of Palestine,” funded by the European Union, accusing Israel of “environmental crimes,” “systematic colonization,” “ethnic cleansing,” “colonization,” “apartheid,” and “land grabs.” The report goes on to claim that there “is also documentation of hazardous waste being smuggled into the West Bank from Israel for illegal dumping, and the occupying military forces dumping highly toxic and nuclear waste in the occupied territories.” The report maintains that “the concept of ‘environmental Nakba’ puts environmental injustices rightly in the context of the wider social injustices and human rights violations suffered by the Palestinian people under the Israeli occupation.”
- Together with Friends of the Earth-Palestine and Palestinian Hydrology Group, published a March 2014 report, “Water Injustice in Palestine,” alleging that Israeli control over water resources has transformed Palestinian “villages and towns in large jails or ghettos.”
- Regularly promotes anti-Israel BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) campaigns, specifically focusing on land, water and environmental issues.
- At a June 7, 2017 side event at the 35th session of UN Human Rights Council, Abeer Abtumeh from PENGON gave a lecture titled “Corporate impunity in 50 years of Palestine Occupation: Mekorot against human right to water.”
- Together with the Palestinian BDS National Committee and the Land Defence Coalition, organized a 2014 “International Week Against Mekorot,” between World Water Day and Palestinian “Land Day,” falsely claiming that Mekorot is “responsible for implementing ‘water apartheid’ on Palestinians, including the international crime of pillage of natural resources in occupied territory,” “discrimination against the Palestinian people as an ethnic group,” and “violations of international law and human rights.” It further goes on to urge the public “to intensify pressure on public authorities to exclude Mekorot from public contracts.” (See here for more on NGOs and the Libel Campaign Against the Mekorot Water Company.)
- In April 2014, PENGON joined an international boycott campaign against the Israeli company SodaStream, claiming the “Israeli occupation and its settlement enterprise…are based on the pillage of our land and deplete and pollute our water resources” and that “[o]ver the last 40 years, Israeli occupation has cut hundreds of thousands of trees to make space for their colonization.” PENGON goes on to “call on all environmental organizations and activists to stand with us against the Israeli occupation and its systematic large scale destruction of our land.”
- In 2013, PENGON appealed to “environmental organisations around the world to refrain from working with the Jewish National Fund (JNF), an organisation responsible for the displacement of our people, theft of their property, colonisation of land and the destruction of the natural environment.”
- In May 2005 signed a petition calling for the academic boycott of Israel as a means to “isolate Apartheid Israel…forging effective solidarity with the Palestinian struggle for freedom, self-determination and sovereignty.”
- A number of PENGON members, including Applied Research Institute Jerusalem (ARIJ), Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (PARC), Union of Agricultural Work Committees (UAWC), Union of Palestinian Medical Relief Committees, and the Land Research Center, are signatories to the 2005 “Palestinian Civil Society Call for BDS,” which calls for an end to Israel’s “occupation and colonization of all Arab lands” and promotes the right of “Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties.” These goals undermine the fundamental right of the Jewish people to self-determination and would effectually mean the elimination of Israel as a Jewish state.
- Union of Agricultural Work Committees (UAWC)
- Utilizes highly biased and demonizing rhetoric, accusing the “Israel occupation forces” of “continuing its brutal and immoral offensive  war on Gaza” and an ongoing “policy of collective punishment in disregard for the international law and humanitarian law.”
- UAWC was founded in 1968 by members of the PFLP and is an official PFLP “affiliate.” USAID identifies UAWC as the “agricultural arm” of the PFLP.
- Donors include: European Union (EU), Australia (via AusAID), Spain (AECID), Netherlands, Italy, Japan, Norwegian People’s Aid, Medico, UNDP, Rosa Luxemburg Foundation, UNRWA, Catholic Relief Services, NGO Development Center, World Vision, Action Against Hunger, International Orthodox Christian Charities, and Grassroots International.
- Applied Research Institute- Jerusalem (ARIJ)
- Among the leaders of the political warfare against Israel, seeking to further boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS), false accusations of Israeli “apartheid” and “racism,” and support for a Palestinian “right of return,” which is inconsistent with two-state solution.
- Donors include: Spain, the EU, Sweden, Switzerland, Oxfam Novib, Rosa Luxenburg Foundation, DanChurchAid, Catholic Relief Services and the UN.
- Land Research Center
- Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (PARC)
- PARC’s rhetoric includes accusations of “apartheid,” “collective punishment,” “ethnic cleansing,” and “war crimes.”
- According to PARC’s “2014-2018 Strategic Plan,” one of PARC’s strategic goals is “Holding the occupation accountable towards Palestinian rights related to the agricultural sector and rural areas” by “Boycotting…Israelis’ settlement products” and “Supporting the cooperation and coordination with the boycott committees.”
- Donors include: Australia (DFAT), Netherlands (NRO), Sweden (Swedish International Development Cooperation- SIDA), Switzerland (Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation-SDC), United States (Department of Agriculture), European Commission (ECHO), Luxembourg (Ministry of Foreign Affairs), Bread for the World-EED (Germany), Care International, Christian Aid (UK), Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (Germany), Grassroots International (United States), Islamic Development Bank, Medecins du Monde (France), Oxfam, Save the Children, and the United Nations (UNDP, UNRWA).
- Other members include: Ma’an Development Center, Environmental Education Center, Palestinian Hydrology Group, Roads and Environmental Safety Center, Union of Palestinian Medical Relief Committees, Stop the Wall, The Palestinian Association for Cultural Exchange, Environmental Media Center, Arab Agricultural Association, Biodiversity and Environmental Center, Palestinian Farmers’ Union, and Arab Society for Happy Future.
All Articles about Palestinian Environmental NGOs Network- Friends of Earth Palestine (PENGON)