Coinciding with Prime Minister Netanyahu’s visit to the Netherlands, NGO Monitor called upon the Dutch Government to implement the Dutch Parliament’s recommendations regarding state funding of BDS organizations through the Human Rights & International Humanitarian Law Secretariat.
Since its inception, the Netherlands has contributed €2.9 million to the HR/IHL Secretariat which distributes funds to non-governmental organizations (NGOs) active in BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) campaigns and other forms of demonization against Israel.
According to the HR/IHL Secretariat, 80% of its distributions are allocated for core NGO funding. NGO Monitor research shows that of 24 core recipients, 13 advocate BDS, receiving $5.78 million (more than half) out of an operating budget of $10.38 million. Some grantees have also promoted antisemitic rhetoric and have apparent links to the PFLP terrorist organization. Core grantees include BADIL, Al-Haq, Addameer and MIFTAH, all vehemently anti-Israel NGOs at the forefront of BDS campaigns.
On June 16, 2016, 78 of the 150 members of the Dutch Parliament adopted a resolution calling on the government to review and halt, as soon as possible, all direct and indirect funding to NGOs that support BDS against Israel.
According to Prof. Gerald Steinberg, president of NGO Monitor, “The Dutch Parliament took an important step in opening the debate on this abuse of taxpayer funds. The government has the opportunity to implement this resolution, and to stop providing taxpayer funds to the HR/IHL Secretariat, the majority of which ends up in the hands of vehemently anti-Israel groups that oppose peace and promote a campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel.”
See below for more detailed information about the NGOs funded by the Human Rights & International Humanitarian Law Secretariat.
NGOs funded by the HR-IHL Secretariat include:
- BADIL (Secretariat funding in 2015: $260,000) a leader in Palestinian “right of return” and international anti-Zionist boycott campaigns, has published antisemitic cartoons, as well as posters calling for the elimination of Israel.
- Badil press release “rejects current purposed settlements such as the Roadmap for Peace and the Arab Peace Initiative” (web archive)
- Al-Haq (Secretariat funding in 2015: $710,000) a leader in anti-Israel demonization campaigns through lawsuits (“lawfare”) at the International Criminal Court, and BDS activities. According to the Israeli Supreme Court, Al Haq director, Shawan Jabarin, is also a leader of the Palestinian Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) terror organization. Click here to read NGO Monitor’s unofficial translation of the decision by the Israeli High Court of Justice.
- Addameer (core funding in 2015: $230,000) lobbies international frameworks against Israel and supports BDS. A number of Addameer staff members have alleged connections to terror groups.
- Al-Mezan (Secretariat funding $415,000)
- Signatory of “Palestinian Civil Society Call for BDS”
- File lawsuits against companies and governments doing business with Israel, and lobby for cases against Israelis at the International Criminal Court (ICC)