NGO Monitor has analyzed the NIF’s 2017 financial reports (latest available), detailing grants to a wide variety of Israeli non-governmental organizations (NGOs). This analysis focuses specifically on 20% of the NIF’s funding that is distributed to 30 political advocacy NGOs claiming to promote human rights.
In analyzing NIF’s financial documents, NGO Monitor found that:
- 2017 expenses were $31 million, approximately the same as in 2016. Total revenue was $29 million, a 3.5% increase from 2016 ($28 million).
- Total authorized grants to all NGOs was approximately $13.6 million in 2017, approximately the same as in 2016 (See Table 1).
- The amounts listed in the annual financial statements comprise both “core grants” made directly by the NIF and “donor advised” grants. NIF details the division between these two funding formats in a separate online report.
Table 1: Overview of NIF Finances 2014-2017
- The NIF continues to fund a number of NGOs involved in political activities related to the Arab-Israeli conflict, as documented by NGO Monitor.
- In 2017, the NIF authorized $3 million in grants to 30 political advocacy groups (that have previously been analyzed by NGO Monitor). This represents an 8% increase in funding to these types of organizations (See Table 2). In addition, in 2017, the NIF provided funding to a new grantee – Akevot.
- As of 2015, it appears that NIF no longer funds Sheikh Jarrah Solidarity Movement and Baladna.
- NIF increased its grants to Zazim, +972 Magazine, Hamoked, and Hakal.
- It is unclear if these changes in annual grants to individual NGOs reflect a policy change, or a pattern of bi-annual and multi-annual grants.
Table 2: Multiyear Review of Authorized Grants to Political NGOs (2011 – 2017, USD)
|Breaking the Silence||359,219||438,766||104,304||138,882||83,993||85,115||120,947|
|Combatants for Peace||21,180||22,862||20,243||5,000||-||-||-|
|Gisha: Legal Center for the Protection of Freedom of Movement||37,803||6,687||29,150||44,491||22,771||30,808||56,165|
|HaMoked: Center for the Defence of the Individual||83,375||1,300||37,450||31,400||14,800||175,250||101,481|
|Haqel: Jews and Arabs in Defense of Human Rights||140,972||78,375||-||-||-||-||-|
|Human Rights Defenders Fund (HRDF)||175,984||21,7695||199,000||91,300||75,920||32,365||224,340|
|Molad: The Center for the Renewal of Democracy||68,857||101,196||417,694||61,6000||736,000||435,000||-|
|Negev Coexistence Forum||73,406||61,672||49,888||69,861||49,339||45,532||39,466|
|Nine Seven Two: Advancement of Citizen Journalism||127,531||17,332||38,117||54,120||31,378||84,389||10,000|
|Parents' Circle: Bereaved Parents||73,406||4,972||16,902||2,807||14,225||0||0|
|Physicians for Human Rights - Israel||86,894||102,906||91,679||185,262||71,380||166,464||161,864|
|Rabbis for Human Rights||42,775||107,648||296,420||243,464||295,493||271,14||328,927|
|Reut Sadaka Jewish-Arab Youth Movement||11,050||6,844||38,430||27,564||13,691||7,910||24,203|
|SISO - Save Israel. Stop the Occupation.||101,242||120,100||-||-||-||-||-|
|Solidarity Sheikh Jarah||-||-||-||-15,000||13,961||7,910||-|
|The Public Committee Against Torture in Israel||38,450||36,000||41,643||5,015||1,670||66,582||28,000|
|Women's Fund for Human Rights (Machsom Watch)||129,397||87,077||243,535||69,968||118,788||32,270||28,781|
|Zazim - Community Action||314,022||182,013||-||-||-||-||-|