Skip to content
Core Bias in the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA-oPt)
- The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA-oPt) is a primary coordinator for funding and activity of political NGOs in the Arab-Israeli conflict.
- OCHA oversees and facilitates government funding to some of highly biased and politicized NGOs, including a number that are very active in promoting BDS and “lawfare” campaigns that single out Israel. Some engage in blatantly antisemitic activities. For NGO Monitor’s full report on OCHA-oPt, see “UNOCHA-oPt: Politicized Activities and Funding in the Arab-Israeli Conflict,” (May 4, 2016).
- OCHA organizes “Thematic Clusters” of UN agencies, government donors, and NGOs coordinate anti-Israel campaigning on issues including water, housing, and armed conflict. These “Clusters” amplify the claims of the NGOs.
- OCHA also publishes reports, factsheets, and informational databases, parroting the false and distorted claims, thereby seeking to give credence and credibility to highly misleading accusations.
Examples of OCHA oPt funding coordination for anti-Israel NGOs:
- In 2016, OCHA-oPt requested $571 million for some of the most highly biased and politicized NGOs active in the Arab-Israeli conflict. “Participating Organizations & Funding Requirements” in the 2016 Humanitarian Response Plan include:
- Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) – The NRC has funded hundreds of cases via NGOs in Israeli courts. A lawyer affiliated with a 2013 NRC program that funded 677 such cases called this an attempt to “try every possible legal measure to disrupt the Israeli judicial system… as many cases as possible are registered and that as many cases are appealed to increase the workload of courts and the Supreme Court to such an extent that there will be a blockage” (emphases added).
- Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) – On June 19, 2014, Israel’s Defense Minister declared IRW to be illegal, based on its alleged role in funneling money to Hamas, and banned it from operating in Israel and the West Bank. (Hamas is a designated terror organization by Israel, the U.S., EU, and Canada.)
- Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR)- Leader of anti-Israel “lawfare” campaigns, such as an intensive campaign vis-à-vis the International Criminal Court and exploiting courts in democratic countries in order to harass Israeli officials with civil lawsuits and criminal investigations.
- Applied Research Institute – Jerusalem (ARIJ) – Among the leaders of political warfare against Israel, seeking to further BDS campaigns; a Palestinian “right of return”; and inflammatory accusations of Israeli “apartheid,” “racism,” and “ethnic cleansing.”
- Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) – A leader and mobilizer of anti-Israel BDS campaigns; regularly promotes allegations of Israeli “apartheid,” “collective punishment,” “war crimes,” and “violations of international law and human rights.
- Ma’an Development Center – Published “Boycotts, Divestment & Sanctions: Lessons learned in effective solidarity,” a guide to grassroots and international BDS campaigns.