December 02, 2013
- Website: www.pchrgaza.ps
- Founded in 1995 in Gaza City; describes itself as “dedicated to protecting human rights, promoting the rule of law, and upholding democratic principles in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.”
- Funding is provided by the European Union and the governments of Ireland, Denmark, and Norway. NGO Development Center (NDC – governments of Switzerland, Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark) allocated $425,000 to PCHR in 2010-2012.Funders also include: Open Society Foundations (OSI - US), Christian Aid (UK), Oxfam NOVIB (Netherlands), Grassroots International (US), Kvina Till Kvina (Sweden), Al-Quds Association Malaga (Spain), Oxfam Novib (Netherlands), and DanChurchAid (Denmark).
- Claims “longstanding cooperation and coordination between PCHR and the Irish Foreign Ministry. The Representative Office of Ireland is a major PCHR’s partner. In addition, Ireland supports the Palestinian cause, has a balanced position at the European level and does not compromise human rights standards or principles...PCHR also has a distinguished relationship with the Irish President.”
- Political Warfare: Regularly describes Israel’s policies as “apartheid” and accuses Israel of “ethnic cleansing,” “war crimes,” and the “Judaization of Jerusalem.”
- During the Gaza war in December 2008 and January 2009, its anti-Israel campaigning included accusations of Israeli “war crimes,” “crimes against humanity,” “collective punishment,” “indiscriminate killing and continued systematic destruction of all the Palestinian institutions and civilian facilities in the Gaza Strip.”
- On “resistance”: Regularly refers to indiscriminate attacks on Israeli civilians as “resistance” and rockets that fall short of their Israeli civilian targets and cause injuries to Palestinians as “misuse of weapons.” In 2008, PCHR “call[ed] …upon Palestinian resistance groups to be far away from [the Palestinian] civilian populated area when conducting military actions.”
- After then-French Prime Minister Lionel Jospin referred to Hezbollah attacks as terrorism in 2000, PCHR compared this “legitimate Lebanese resistance against Israeli occupation in Lebanon” to “French resistance during the Nazi occupation.”
- On March 15, 2010, condemned the rededication of the Hurva Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem as a “war crime,” and called on EU member states to boycott Israeli goods in protest. The Hurva Synagogue, built during the 1700s, was destroyed by Jordanian forces after they attacked and expelled the Jewish population of the Old City in 1948.
- PCHR alleged that during the Gaza War “1,167 non-combatants (82.2%) and 252 resistance activists (17.8%)” were killed. The non-combatant figure is not credible and includes a large number of Hamas fighters. Hamas Interior Minister Fathi Hamad acknowledged that 600-700 Hamas members were killed in the Gaza fighting.
- Nizar Rayan, a senior Hamas military commander, and members of his family were killed in an IDF airstrike on January 1, 2009 during the offensive. Despite Rayan’s status and the weapons stockpile located at his home, PCHR classified Rayan as a “civilian,” called his death a “heinous crime” and demanded that its “perpetrators and their military and political leaders must be prosecuted.”
- PCHR promotes the biased conclusions and recommendations of the UN Goldstone Report. Provided 75 minutes of testimony to the mission, and was quoted 50 times in the document.
- Central player in the Arab League’s “Fact Finding” Mission to Gaza and “prepared the agenda for the mission and coordinated its meetings and field visits. It also provided technical assistance for the mission.” The mission was led by anti-Israel ideologue John Dugard and Gonzalo Boye, a Spanish attorney who was imprisoned for 10 years for his involvement in the kidnapping of a businessman by the Basque terror group, ETA, It’s mandate was to “investigate Israeli crimes and human rights violations” and to hold “Israel legally accountable for war crimes committed by Israeli Occupation Forces in Gaza.” The report called for “the formation of a team of lawyers and legal experts to consider various options to prosecute Israelis accused of committing war crimes against the Palestinian people.”
- Support for “lawfare”: Is a leader in the anti-Israel “lawfare” movement and has tried to have Israelis arrested in England, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Spain, and New Zealand. The group has filed for punitive damages against Israeli officials and companies doing business with Israel in the US. All of PCHR’s cases have been dismissed in the preliminary stages.
- PCHR lobbied against the revision of the UK’s “Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill 2010-11” (Universal Jurisdiction Law) aimed at preventing abuse of the law, claiming “[t]he proposed change is a purely political move designed to block the arrest of war criminals, from ‘friendly countries’ in the UK. ”
- Since the 2009 Gaza War, PCHR has lobbied ICC officials to prosecute Israelis for alleged “war crimes.”
- On November 26, 2013, published the second installation of a report, “Through Women’s Eyes,” alleging gender-specific consequences of the November 2012 Gaza conflict and accusing Israel of “war crimes,” “direct targeting of civilians,” and “indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks.”
- In a November 28, 2013 press release, together with Palestinian NGOs Al Dameer, Al-Mezan and Palestinian NGO Network (PNGO), accused Israel of “systematic policies against the civilian population” and “human rights violations perpetrated by Israeli occupation forces… as a form of collective punishment.”
- PCHR also criticizes the Palestinian Authority’s and Hamas’ violations against Palestinians (though not against Israelis).
Palestinian Center for Human Rights Essentials:
- Will Norway Help Palestinian NGO Destroy ICC?, August 16, 2013
- HRW and PCHR: UN Report Exposes False Claims on Death of Gaza Baby, NGO Monitor Reports, March 10, 2013
- NGO Monitor Calls on European Governments to Stop Funding PCHR, NGO Monitor Reports, December 14, 2011
- NGO Lawfare, NGO Monitor Monograph, December 2010
- B’tselem and PCHR Reports on Gaza War Casualties Are Not Credible, NGO Monitor Reports, September 9, 2009
- Oxfam Novib Distributes Dutch Gov’t Funding to HRW, PCHR, and Adalah, NGO Monitor Digest (Vol.7, No.11), August 13, 2009
- EU-Funded PCHR Aids Arab League in Lawfare Mission/ Gives Hamas a Free Pass, NGO Monitor Reports, May 14, 2009
- PCHR, Amnesty Lead Gaza Lawfare Claims, Ignore Hamas Crimes, NGO Monitor Digest (Vol.7, No.5), February 9, 2009
- The NGO Front in the Gaza War: Lawfare Against, NGO Monitor Reports, February 2, 2009
- PCHR Sues Israeli Military Officials in Spain, MGO Monitor Reports, July 1, 2008
- Adalah, PCHR and Al Haq Use Discredited HRW “Research” to Petition Supreme Court, NGO Monitor Digest (Vol.5 No.8), April 18, 2007
- Report: Palestinian Center for Human Rights, NGO Monitor Reports, September 11, 2006