- On August 30, 2012, the Church Development Service (Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst-EED) merged with Brot für die Welt and formed a new agency, “Brot für die Welt – Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst” (Bread for the World – Protestant Development Aid Service), as part of the new Protestant Agency for Diakonia and Development (Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung).
- Brot für die Welt-Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst (BfW-EED) is the official aid framework of the Protestant Church in Germany. Since 1962, the German government is obligated under German law to provide financial support for the development work of church-aid organizations.
- Funds radical and politicized NGOs that promote Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) and “lawfare” campaigns against Israel, such as Coalition of Women for Peace (CWP), Who Profits, Al-Haq and Adalah (See below for complete funding details).
- Published, together with Misereor, a 2014 guide purporting to promote “fair tourism in Israel and Palestine taking into account international law”
- The guide seeks to “encourage travelers and pilgrims to view the Holy Land as a coherent travel destination and not to limit themselves to one side of the border… Until now travel programs and itineraries have been largely determined by the interests of the Israeli tourist industry”. (p. 4-5, NGO Monitor translation)
- The guide dedicates a chapter to the Kairos Palestine document, titled “Pilgrimage of Change” (p. 10, NGO Monitor translation). The Kairos-Palestine-Document denies the Jewish historical connection to Israel in theological terms, calls to mobilize churches worldwide in the call for BDS, and characterizes terrorist acts of “armed resistance” as “Palestinian legal resistance.”
- Recommends tours of politicized anti-Israel organizations such as the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD), which promotes BDS and advocates for a one-state solution.
- Recommends politicized anti-Israel organizations, such as Al-Haq, Breaking the Silence, Sabeel, and Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), as sources of information.
- In July 2014, BfW- EED and Misereor, the aid framework of the Catholic Church in Germany, held a conference in Berlin on “The ICJ’s Wall Opinion Revisited: Towards its effective Implementation.” The event addressed “the impact of the wall … on the human rights of the local population, … attempt to clarify the role of the United Nations and …the role of third parties in ensuring the implementation of the legal obligations described in the advisory opinion.” Contrary to the narrative at the conference, the security barrier was built in response to terror attacks emanating from the West Bank and has saved countless lives since its construction.
- Sponsored a December 2014 “Canaan conference” in Berlin titled “Trialogue with Israel and Palestine,” which included radical NGOs Israeli Social TV, New Profile, and Café Palestine Freiburg. While the Canaan conference claims to be “a platform for bi- and trilateral communication between women from Palestine, Israel and Germany,” it features many inflammatory speakers, including one who reportedly declared “Zionists are racists.” Café Palestine Freiburg has previously advocated “dismantling Jewish ideology” and has been accused of stoking modern antisemitism.
- In 2012, BfW and Misereor supported and promoted Israeli NGO Breaking the Silence’s “Testimonies of a crew” exhibit in Berlin, spreading anonymous and unverifiable allegations that Israeli soldiers commit “war crimes.”
- In a September 13, 2013 article, “20 years Oslo Accords: Learning from the history of the Middle East peace process,” BfW blames the failure of the peace process on Israel, while failing to mention Palestinian rejectionism, violence, incitement, corruption, and the role of Hamas.
- Publishes inaccurate water libels, alleging insufficient and inequitable water distribution, ignoring evidence that Israel provides Palestinians in the West Bank with more water than required under the Oslo framework and that thieves are responsible for stealing up to 50 percent of supplies in some Palestinian areas. In so doing, BfW manipulates and distorts water issues in order to falsely portray Israel as a brutal regime.
Information about funding to Israeli NGOs for 2012-2014 was taken from annual reports submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits; for 2015-2016, from quarterly reports submitted to the Registrar. Information about funding to Palestinian NGOs was taken from other sources (see links in table).
|B'Tselem||NIS 810,425||NIS 1,927,198||NIS 618,862||NIS 740,562
|Parents Circle Families Forum (PCFF)||NIS 277,690||NIS 434,322||
|Ir Amim||NIS 322,324||NIS 572,931||NIS 427,110
|Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (PARC)||Undisclosed Amount||
|Al Haq||Undisclosed Amount||
|Coalition of Women for Peace (CWP)||NIS 119,877||NIS 93,657||NIS 120,675||NIS 74,624
|Who Profits||NIS 28,751||NIS 32,714
|Physicians for Human Rights- Israel (PHR-I)||NIS 739,000||NIS 630,000||NIS 750,000||
|Mossawa||NIS 547,675||NIS 379,773||
|Adalah||NIS 502,654||NIS 453,109||NIS 699,565||NIS 84,900
|Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI)||NIS 882,121||NIS 916,790||NIS 681,173||
|New Profile||NIS 210,800||NIS 188,000||
|Defence for Children International - Palestine Section (DCI-PS)||Undisclosed Amount||
- BfW-EED is a member of VENRO, an umbrella organization of development and humanitarian NGOs in Germany that was founded in 1995 in order to represent NGOs in the political arena and strengthen their influence in decision-making processes. As stated on its website, at the time of VENRO’s creation, “NGOs wanted to be not only helpers of the south, but also a critical voice in north-south politics and to exert their influence on political decision-makers.”
- VENRO has a working group (Kofinanzierung) designated for “intensive political dialogue” (translation by NGO Monitor) with the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), advising them on funding guidelines and selection of beneficiaries. VENRO’s current CEO, Dr. Bern Bornhorst, is head of the “politics and global issues for the future” department (PGZ) at BfW/EED.
- Member of Act Alliance, a coalition of churches created by the World Council of Churches (WCC). Act Alliance and WCC both play key roles in mobilizing international BDS campaigns against Israel.
All Articles about Bread for the World- EED