- Sigrid Rausing Trust (SRT) is a “UK grant making foundation, founded in 1995 by Sigrid Rausing to support human rights globally. Since then, the Trust has given away approximately £299 million to human rights organisations all over the world.”
- The Trust states: “Since all political parties or movements, and all governments, have the potential to abuse human rights, we ask that our grantees’ commitment to human rights transcend political loyalties.”
- SRT supports numerous NGOs active in the Arab-Israeli conflict, some of which engage in anti-Israel delegitimization campaigns and promote a narrow political agenda inconsistent with the stated principles.
- In 2016, total income was £20.2 million; total expenses were £20.8 million.
- SRT’s finances are transparent, with past and current grantees listed clearly and details such as amounts and project duration provided.
- SRT states that it funds organizations, not projects: “Most of our grants take the form of core grants, or in other words grants that are not ear-marked for specific projects…We believe that organisations are more imaginative and innovative if they are able to follow their own ideas rather than donor-driven projects.” (emphasis added)
- One of SRT’s “Guiding Principles” is “long-term relationships with grantees.” It is unknown if and how SRT evaluates long-term grantees, and how SRT responds to false claims, bias and political exploitation of human rights by its grantees.
|NGO Recipient||Grant Category||Amount||Duration|
|Adalah||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£300,000||July 2017-2020|
|Al Mezan||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£240,000||March 2015-2018|
|Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI)||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£450,000||December 2017-2020|
|Aswat – Palestinian Gay Women||LGBTI Rights||£150,000||April 2016-2019|
|Breaking the Silence||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£270,000||January 2017-2020|
|B'Tselem||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£450,000||January 2017-2020|
|Gisha – Legal Center For Freedom Of Movement||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£240,000||February 2017-2020|
|HaMoked||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£420,000||April 2016-2019|
|Physicians For Human Rights - Israel||Advocacy, Research and Litigation||£240,000||July 2015-2018|
|Social TV||Free Expression||£150,000||March 2016-2019|
|Military Court Watch||£15,000||January 2018-2019|
|Mediterranean Women’s Fund||Women's Rights||£255,000||August 2017-2020|