Over the past two days, Palestinian terror groups in Gaza have fired over 400 rockets and missiles into Israeli population centers, resulting in 1 death and more than 70 injured.
Since each such attack is a war crime, one might expect human rights NGOs to condemn these blatant violations of human rights. In particular, groups and individuals that immediately and routinely condemn any Israeli action that they do not like.
However, that has not happened. Instead, NGOs and NGO officials have entirely ignored the Palestinian violations against Israelis. Some have simply remained silent, while others have focused exclusively on demonizing Israel. Notably, Palestinian NGOs, which claim to meticulously document violations occurring in Gaza, have not released detailed accounts of the illegal launches of indiscriminate weapons into Israel nor systematically examined how combatants embed themselves among civilian infrastructure.
NGOs/officials that have not commented at all include: Al-Haq, B’Tselem, Adalah, Human Rights Watch’s Ken Roth (Executive Director) and Sarah Leah Whitson (Director of Middle East Division), Addameer, Aldameer, Breaking the Silence, Defense for Children International-Palestine, International Federation of Human Rights (FIDH), Broederlijk Delen, Oxfam, Yesh Din, and Hamoked.
Statements from NGOs:
- Human Rights Watch
- Omar Shakir, Israel and Palestine Director, retweeted Mike Omer-Man (+972 Magazine): “Not only as a journalist who believes journalists should never be targets, but also as someone who lives within spitting distance of the IDF’s own radio station (located in a residential neighborhood), I can’t express enough outrage about the bombing of Al Aqsa TV in Gaza.”
- Shakir retweeted Maha Hussaini, an activist at Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor: “Israeli forces have completely destroyed six buildings in #Gaza so far today: 1. A house belonging to Thahir family in Rafah 2. A house belonging to Breim family 3. A house belonging to Naji family 4. Al-Aqsa T.V headquarters 5. Rahma building 6. Al-Amal Hotel” (November 12)
- Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR)
- New Israeli Military Escalation in #Gaza Strip: 2 Palestinian Civilians Killed and 20 others Wounded, including 5 Children and 4 Women, and Israeli Warplanes Carry out Airstrikes against Many Civilian Facilities, https://pchrgaza.org/en/?p=11592 (Twitter, November 13)
- Called upon “international community to act immediately to stop the crimes of the occupation.”
- Al Mezan
- Al Mezan’s offices were damaged when Israei attacked a nearby building that housed Hamas’ internal security agency.
- “Stop the aggression is less expensive than dealing with its results The balance condemns the brutal attacks on the residential and public buildings and calls for the international community to move urgently” (Twitter, November 13)
- Coalition of Women for Peace
- Hosting demonstrations in Haifa, Tel Aviv, and Jerusalem to “call for an immediate end to the aggression on the inhabitants and residents of Gaza and an end to the siege.”
- Posted on Facebook that “Israel is currently launching airstrikes and shelling the besieged #Gaza Strip after a targeted assassination operation carried out last night by Israeli special forces, killing 7 Palestinians. Israeli bombs. Israeli drones. Israeli-imposed power cuts. And no way to leave. Everyday life in Gaza is shaped by Israeli policy, which has turned the coastal enclave into a maximum security prison where the inmates are fathers, mothers, and children whose only crime is being born in Gaza. Can you imagine life like this?”
- Posted on Facebook to “Continue to resist attacks on residents and residents of Gaza and call for an end to the blockade.”
- As tensions between Israel and Palestinian armed groups in #Gaza continue to escalate today Amnesty is calling on all sides to respect the laws of war; never carry out disproportionate or indiscriminate attacks. Civilians must be protected. (Twitter, November 12)
- Alli McCracken Jarrar, North America Campaigner – “Stop Israeli bombing of #Gaza!” (Twitter, November 12)
- “Read and add your name to CODEPINK’s statement on the current escalation in Gaza. ‘It is Israel’s siege on Gaza and failure to adhere to international law that is the root cause of this escalation.'” (Twitter, November 12)
- Statement: “CODEPINK sends its solidarity to the people of Gaza as they face massive Israeli airstrikes and the possibility of another all-out war.”
- “The IDF appears to be conducting bombing raids and ground incursions into Gaza. We pray for a swift end to this violence and the everyday violence under which the people of Gaza suffer. May all Palestinians and Israelis live without fear, in freedom and dignity” (Facebook, November 11)
- “We pray and work for the violence of the Occupation to end.” (Facebook, November 12)
- American Friends Service Committee
- “During an Israeli military operation and bombing in Gaza yesterday seven Palestinians and one Israeli soldier were killed. In the period since that event, Palestinians have responded with rocket fire in to Israel and Israel is now heavily bombing Gaza. At least 3 more Palestinians have been killed. All of this comes in the context of the ongoing siege of Gaza and regular Israeli military actions against Gaza, actions that have killed over 230 Palestinians since March 30th. Current violence must end, but to realize real change, we must respect the rights of Palestinians and end the blockade of Gaza.” (Facebook, November 12)
- At least 3 more Palestinians have been killed. All of this comes in the context of the ongoing siege of Gaza and regular Israeli military actions against Gaza, actions that have killed over 230 Palestinians since March 30th. #GazaUnderAttack 2/3 (Twitter, November 12)
- Current violence must end, but to realize real change, we must respect the rights of Palestinians and end the blockade of Gaza. #GazaUnderAttack 3/3 (Twitter, November 12)
- US Campaign for Palestinian Rights
- Shared the PFLP’s call to “Stand with Palestine, Stand with the Resistance” stating that “Now is the time to act. Take to the streets and the squares, organize, demonstrate, protest and mobilize to stand with the Palestinian people in Gaza under attack, yet who continue to resist despite all odds. Build the boycott of Israel and confront…”
- Palestinian Return Centre