BDS IN THE PEWS
October 16, 2013
- Website: http://www.miftah.org/
- Founded in 1998 in Jerusalem by Hanan Ashrawi, member of the Palestinian Legislative Council.
- According to its mission statement, MIFTAH seeks to “disseminate the Palestinian narrative,” “influence policy and legislation,” and “achieve a more supportive policy environment for reform and democratization in Palestine.”
- Funding: 2012 budget of $1,206,511, of which $731,601 was donated by foreign governments and entities.
- 2012 donors include: International Republican Institute (United States), Norway, NGO Development Centre (joint funding from Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands), United Nations Development Programme, Ireland, United Nations Population Fund, Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (German government funding), National Endowment for Democracy, UN Women, The OPEC Fund for International Development, Oxfam Novib (Netherlands).
- Political Advocacy: In March 2013, published an article written by Nawaf al-Zaru that repeated the antisemitic blood libel that Jews use Christian blood to bake Passover matzah. After significant public criticism, MIFTAH removed the article, but attacked the blogger who exposed the article for “smearing” the organization and downplayed the centrality of the blood libel in the article.
- Described Wafa Idrees, one of the first female Palestinian suicide bombers, as “the beginning of a string of Palestinian women dedicated to sacrificing their lives for the cause.” Idrees detonated herself on January 27, 2002, killing 81 year-old Pinhas Takatli and wounding another 150 Israeli civilians.
- Miftah’s publications utilize the term “resistance fighters” to describe terror groups, and accuse Israel of perpetrating “massacres,” “cultural genocide,” “war crimes,” and “apartheid."
- Hanan Ashrawi addressed the virulent 2001 UN Durban Conference, claiming to represent the Palestinian people, which she called a “nation in captivity held hostage to an ongoing Nakba, as the most intricate and pervasive expression of persistent colonialism, apartheid, racism, and victimization.”
- Continues to promote the prosecution of Israelis in international forums, asserting that “it is time that Israel is held accountable in international courts for the crimes it commits against Palestinians.”
- Publishes articles that advocate for BDS (boycotts, divestment, and sanctions) against Israel, alleging that “the BDS campaign calls for justice first, framing the conflict in terms of colonization, oppression and denial of the basic human rights of the Palestinian people."
- Following the November 2012 vote at the United Nations to upgrade the status of the Palestinian Authority, Miftah organized “discussions at the political, legal and security level in addition to issues pertaining to organization and structure towards the realization of a Palestinian state, deterrence of Israeli occupation practices and holding Israel legally accountable.”
- 2012 donation amounts (US dollars):
|International Republican Institute
|Representative Office of Norway
|NGO Development Centre
|United Nations Development Programme
|The Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Ireland
|United Nations Population Fund
|Konrad Adenauer Stiftung in the Palestinian Autonomous Territories (Germany)
|National Endowment for Democracy
|The OPEC Fund for International Development
|Oxfam Novib (Netherlands)
- Norwegian Funding for Political Advocacy NGOs, NGO Monitor Reports, October 9, 2013
- Two Faces of Anti-semitism , Ynetnews.com, July 14, 2013
- Blood Libels & BDS- NGO Monitor's Report to the 2013 Global Forum on Antisemitism, NGO Monitor, May 27, 2013
- Palestinian NGO Blood Libel, Funded By E.U. and U.S., The Times of Israel, April 11, 2013
- Miftah's Funders Share Responsibility for Antisemitism and Incitement, NGO Monitor Reports, April 2, 2013
- The Anti-Israel Agenda of Miftah , NGO Monitor Digest (Vol.1 No.2), January 27, 2003