BADIL -Resource Center for Palestinian Residency and Refugee Rights
May 23, 2011
- Website: www.badil.org.
- BADIL (“alternative” in Arabic) was established in 1998, and is registered with the Palestinian Authority. Ingrid Jaradat Gassner is the former Director.
- Main declared objective is to “defend and promote the rights of Palestinian refugees and IDPs.” BADIL seeks to “advance the individual and collective rights of the Palestinian people” on the basis of “the principles of international law, in particular international human rights law.”
- Ideological agenda centers on promoting a so-called Palestinian “right of return.” The NGO’s language regularly exploits human rights terminology, accusing Israel of “genocide” and “slow genocide.”
- BADIL’s funding is entirely non-transparent. Research reveals that BADIL received $100,000 from the NDC (joint funding of Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands) in 2008-9 and $575,000 for 2010-12. The joint funding was frozen in May 2011 after BADIL posted antisemitic images on its website (see below). BADIL has also received funding from DanChurchAid and Trócaire.
- According to an evaluation of the NGO, direct funding from the Swiss government was ended because BADIL would not endorse the Geneva Initiative. Nevertheless, the government continued to fund BADIL via the NDC.
- Also uses demonizing language such as “Israel’s colonial apartheid regime,” “state-sponsored racism,” and “systematic ethnic cleansing,” and claims that “[i]nstitutionalized racism and discrimination” is the “root cause…of the ongoing internal forcible displacement and dispossession of the Palestinian people.”
- An antisemitic cartoon won a monetary award for 2nd prize in BADIL’s 2010 Al-Awda Nakba caricature competition. The cartoon is a blatant representation of classic antisemitic tropes, including a Jewish man, garbed in traditional Hasidic attire, with a hooked nose and side locks. He stands above a dead child and skulls, holding a pitchfork dripping with blood. The antisemitic caricature was removed from BADIL’s website after NGO Monitor approached BADIL partner DanChurchAid on the issue.
- In December 2010, BADIL participated in the 10th Annual Meeting of the Global Palestine Right of Return Coalition. The final statement from the meeting explicitly rejects the Roadmap for Peace and the Arab Peace Initiative: “The Rejection of any settlement to the Palestinian/Arab – Zionist conflict...to emphasize that the terms of reference of the current purposed settlements such the Roadmap Plan and the Arab Peace Initiative do not meet the minimum rights of our people but only perpetuate the arrogance of the Zionists.”
- Involved in lawfare attempts to prosecute Israeli military officials in international and European courts, and has published in 2009 a report titled “Litigating Palestine,” in which BADIL notes the different venues that can be used to file claims against Israel and the “progress” made in recent years.
- Submits written and oral statements in condemnation of Israel before the UN Human Rights Council. Uses UN resolutions selectively to support its politics.
- Advocates for anti-Israel BDS (boycott, divestment and sanction) campaigns, including a prominent BDS section on its website and a “BDS campaign update” on BDS activities worldwide.
- Partners include Trócaire, Norwegian Peoples Aid, United Methodist Church, Oxfam, and the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC).
2007 Al Awda Awards submission
2010 Al-Awda Awards: 3rd place
2010 Al Awda Awards: 3rd place