BDS IN THE PEWS
- Irish Aid, the Irish government’s assistance program for developing countries, funds Israeli, Palestinian, Irish, and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) involved in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- As a branch of the Foreign Ministry, “Irish Aid works to promote coherence across the full range of Irish Government policies on issues such as agriculture, trade, the environment and fiscal matters.”
- Multi-Annual Programming Scheme (MAPS) is an Irish Aid program which pledges a fixed amount of funds to several ”partner agencies,” including Trocaire and Christian Aid, over a 5-year period from 2007-2011.
- Local organizations that have received funding directly from Ireland include: Al Haq, Gisha, Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), Yesh Din.
- Irish and UK organizations active in the Middle East that receive funding from Irish Aid include:
- The Irish Foreign Minister stated that the government is “opposed to proposals for trade sanctions or boycotts against Israel.” However, several NGOs that receive Irish government funding, including War on Want and Al Haq, are active in BDS (boycotts, divestment, and sanctions) campaigns.
- NGO Monitor wrote to the Irish Minister of State for Overseas Development, asking about Irish Aid’s support for NGOs involved in BDS. The minister’s office responded that Irish Aid does not fund War on Want’s work in the Palestinian Territories, but funding Al Haq, a “highly regarded human rights NGO,” is “fully consistent with Ireland’s foreign policy objectives.”
- Irish Government Funding for Political NGOs Involved in Anti-Israel Campaigns, October 11, 2012
- Prepared Statement for Irish Parliament’s Joint Committee on European Affairs session on the “EU-Israel Association Agreement and the Situation in Gaza,” NGO Monitor Presentation, June 23, 2010
- Irish Aid repudiates BDS, but funds Al Haq, NGO Monitor Correspondence, June 2, 2010
- Trócaire: Misdirected Catholic Aid from Ireland Fuels Conflict, NGO Monitor Reports, March 18, 2009
- Ireland: Government Funding for Anti-Israel NGOs, NGO Monitor Reports, August 8, 2007