HaMoked - Center for the Defense of the Individual
|In their own words||“Main objective is to assist Palestinians of the Occupied Territories whose rights are violated due to Israel's policies.”|
See here for Hamoked funding chart.
- 2014 budget of NIS 9,865,302 (accessed May 22, 2016).
- 2013-2015 donors include: Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law Secretariat (joint funding from Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and the Netherlands), European Union, Misereor (Germany), Norwegian Refugee Council, Netherlands, Norway, AECID (Spain), UNDP, and others. (See table below for detailed funding information).
- Based on financial information submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits, in accordance with the Israeli NGO transparency law, Hamoked received NIS 11,180,994 from foreign governmental bodies between 2012-2016. (See chart below for detailed funding information).
- According to annual reports, donations from foreign governments comprised 85.3% of total donations, from 2012-2014.
- In 2008-2014, the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $720,301 to HaMoked (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014).
- Political Advocacy: Regularly petitions the High Court of Justice and makes inaccurate and inflammatory allegations of Israeli “apartheid,” “deportations,” “torture,” and “forcible transfers.”
- Accuses Israel of “collective punishment” and the “ghetto-ization of the West Bank” (translated from the original Hebrew).
- Submitted a written statement to the Goldstone Commission, together with other Israeli NGOs, that failed to address alleged war crimes by Hamas, “but rather offers our own distinct perspective – human rights violations for which Israel must be held accountable.” The NGOs make the unsupported claim that “[t]o the extent that this was planned as a punitive operation which main purpose was not the achievement of actual military objectives, but the inflicting of deliberate damage as a deterrent and punitive measure.”
- “Court Watch” section of website “examines Israeli court decisions on issues relating to the occupation” and issues petitions addressing “the measures taken by Israel to control the OPT and manage the life of the protected population – restrictions on freedom of movement, violations of the right to family life, house demolitions, the settlements, the use of administrative detention, torture, and more.”
- Publishes “Case Summaries” that aim to “illustrate the mechanisms of the occupation” by “provid[ing] administrative and legal assistance to Palestinian individuals, who have been directly harmed by the injustices of the Israeli occupation.”
- Published an Online Legal Library (in “co-operation with Diakonia”) which included documents providing a distorted view or incorrect analysis of international law in order to criminalize Israeli actions, such as the false claim that “phosphorous and cluster bombs” are “illegal weapons prohibited by International Humanitarian Law.”
- Issued a 2013 report claiming to expose “the destructive bureaucratic mechanism which governs the daily lives of Palestinians under the permit regime inside the ‘seam zone,’” referring to “the areas of the West Bank trapped between the separation wall and the Green Line.”
- In a 2009 petition about the security barrier, HaMoked wrote that that the case constituted “apartheid” and claimed that “there is no difference between the regime at issue in this petition…and the racial segregation regime in the southern states of the USA in the first half of the 20th century” (translated from the original Hebrew).
- In 2006, Israel’s State Prosecutor concluded that HaMoked’s “self-presentation as ‘a human rights organization’ has no basis in reality and is designed to mislead.”
Partial list of foreign donations (amounts in NIS)
2013-2014 amounts based on NGO annual financial reports; 2015-2016 amounts based on financial reports submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits.
|Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) ||2,001,739||453,791||1,636,285||1,072,298
|Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law Secretariat (joint funding from Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and the Netherlands)||1,523,629||184,702||862,254||609,697
|Misereor (Germany) ||732,638||
|Trocaire (Ireland) ||159,395||7,084
|AECID (Spain) ||606,000||281,169||189,905
All Articles about HaMoked - Center for the Defense of the Individual