December 21, 2011
- Website: www.adalah.org
- Founded November 1996, located in Haifa, aims to “promote and defend the rights of Palestinian Arab citizens of Israel.”
- Describes itself as “an independent human rights organization and legal center.”
- In 2007-2010, the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $1,146,896 to Adalah (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010).
- Adalah’s donors include the European Union, Switzerland, Ford Foundation, Open Society Institute, Oxfam-Novib, Christian Aid, ACSUR, NDC (joint funding of Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands), and UN Development Programme. (Click here for Adalah’s 2010 financial submission to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits.)
- Drafted a 2007 “Democratic Constitution,” which calls for replacing the Jewish foundation of the state with a “democratic, bilingual and multicultural” framework. Jewish immigration would be permitted for “humanitarian reasons.”
- Adalah officials, in conjunction with radical Palestinian NGO Al-Haq, wrote and edited large portions of a May 2009 pseudo-academic study that refers to “a colonial enterprise which implements a system of apartheid.” The report delegitimizes Israeli self-defense measures as “inhumane act[s] of apartheid...perpetrated in the context of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over another.”
- Participated in a May 2009 NGO “town hall meeting” in Geneva that helped shape the course of the UN’s Goldstone Mission. Adalah was subsequently cited 38 times in the Goldstone report.
- In its lobbying in support of the Goldstone report and its recommendations, Adalah issued a press release urging governments to “re-evaluate their relationship with Israel.”
Submitted a legal opinion to a Spanish court in support of PCHR’s lawfare case against Israeli officials.
- In March 2010, an Adalah representative was scheduled to speak at “Israeli Apartheid Week” at Al Quds University “on Apartheid as it is experienced by Palestinian citizens of Israel.”
- The NGO-EU Echo Chamber: Adalah Lobbying in EU Frameworks, NGO Monitor Reports, December 14, 2011
- Adalah: Abusing “Civil Rights” to Delegitimize Israel, NGO Monitor Reports, June 15, 2008
- Adalah proposes new constitution demanding Israel “recognize the right of return” , NGO Monitor Digest (Vol. 5 No. 7), March 20, 2007
- Adalah and the Impact of Legal-based NGOs in the Arab-Israeli Conflict, NGO Monitor Digest (Vol. 2, No. 3), October 23, 2003