BDS IN THE PEWS
December 05, 2013
- Website: www.adalah.org
- Founded in November 1996; located in Haifa.
- Describes itself as “an independent human rights organization and legal center” that “promote[s] and defend[s] the rights of Palestinian Arab citizens of Israel.”
- Funding: 2012 budget of NIS 6,744,667 (latest available; accessed August 20, 2014).
- Based on financial information submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits, in accordance with the Israeli NGO transparency law, Adalah received NIS 1,948,459 from foreign governmental bodies in 2012. (As of December 5, 2013, Adalah has not submitted 2013 quarterly financial reports to the Israeli Registrar of Non Profits.)
- Donors include the European Union, Switzerland, Germany (via EED and Medico International), Spain (via ACSUR), NDC (joint funding of Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands), UN Development Programme (UNDP), New Israel Fund, Ford Foundation, Open Society Institute, Oxfam-Novib, Christian Aid, and Broederlijk Delen (Belgium).
- In 2008-2013, the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $1,673,634 to Adalah (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).
- Political Advocacy: One of the most politically active NGOs in opposing Israeli policy regarding the Bedouin in the Negev.
- On May 30, 2013 Adalah and the Negev Coexistence Forum (NCF) published a one-sided and factually inaccurate position paper (funded by the EU), reviewing the “Prawer-Begin Bill and the Forced Displacement of the Bedouin” and accusing Israel of “forcible displacement,” “dispossession,” and attempting to implement “the complete and final severance of the Bedouin’s historical ties to their land.”
- Publishes an online “Discriminatory Laws Database,” that claims to collect “text, analyses, and legal action for present and proposed discriminatory laws in Israel and the OPT [Occupied Palestinian Territories].”
- Participated in a May 2009 NGO “town hall meeting” in Geneva that helped shape the course of the UN’s Goldstone Mission. Adalah was subsequently cited 38 times in the Goldstone report.
- In its lobbying in support of the Goldstone report and its recommendations, Adalah issued a 2009 press release urging governments to “re-evaluate their relationship with Israel.”
- Adalah officials, in conjunction with radical Palestinian NGO Al-Haq, wrote and edited large portions of a May 2009 pseudo-academic study that refers to “a colonial enterprise which implements a system of apartheid.” The report delegitimizes Israeli self-defense measures as “inhumane act[s] of apartheid...perpetrated in the context of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over another.”
- Submitted a legal opinion to a Spanish court in support of PCHR’s 2008 lawfare case against Israeli officials.
- Drafted a 2007 “Democratic Constitution,” which calls for replacing the Jewish foundation of the state with a “democratic, bilingual and multicultural” framework. Jewish immigration would be permitted for “humanitarian reasons.”
- In April 2002, following Israel’s Operation Defensive Shield, Adalah filed a petition falsely alleging that the Israeli army “was collecting dead bodies on the outskirts of the Jenin refugee camp, apparently with the intention of burying them in mass, anonymous or numbered graves.” While the claims were later found to be baseless, the allegations continue to be exploited by anti-Israel organizations in an effort to demonize the state of Israel.
- Adalah Director Hassan Jabareen and several colleagues played an active role in the NGO Forum of the UN World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance (WCAR) held in Durban in 2001, which was organized in an effort to promote the demonization and delegitimization of Israel, and served as the foundation for the boycotts, demonization, and sanctions (BDS) movement.
Foreign donations based on reports to Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits in 2012 (amounts in NIS)
- Adalah Staffer Arrested Upon Return From Lebanon, NGO Monitor Report, April 13, 2014
- NGOs and the Negev Bedouin Issue in the Context of Political Warfare, NGO Monitor Reports, November 6, 2013
- The NGO-EU Echo Chamber: Adalah Lobbying in EU Frameworks, NGO Monitor Reports, December 14, 2011
- Adalah: Abusing “Civil Rights” to Delegitimize Israel, NGO Monitor Reports, June 15, 2008
- Adalah proposes new constitution demanding Israel “recognize the right of return” , NGO Monitor Digest (Vol. 5 No. 7), March 20, 2007
- Adalah and the Impact of Legal-based NGOs in the Arab-Israeli Conflict, NGO Monitor Digest (Vol. 2, No. 3), October 23, 2003