BDS IN THE PEWS
August 04, 2015
See here for Adalah funding chart.
- Website: www.adalah.org
- Founded in November 1996; located in Haifa.
- Describes itself as “an independent human rights organization and legal center” that “promote[s] and defend[s] the rights of Palestinian Arab citizens of Israel.”
- Funding: 2013 budget of NIS 6,359,272 (accessed August 4, 2015).
- Donors include: Broederlijk Delen (Belgium), Bread for the World-EED (Germany), Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (Switzerland), Oxfam-Novib (Netherlands), Human Rights and International Law Secretariat (joint funding from Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and the Netherlands), Christian Aid (UK), European Union, UNDP, and others.
- Based on financial information submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits, in accordance with the Israeli NGO transparency law, Adalah received NIS 757,500 from foreign governmental bodies in the first quarter of 2015, NIS 1,686,994 in 2014, and NIS 3,484,095 in 2013 (accessed August 4, 2015). (See chart below for detailed funding information).
- In 2008-2014, the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $1,874,656 to Adalah (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014).
- Political Advocacy: One of the most politically active NGOs in opposing Israeli policy regarding the Bedouin in the Negev.
- On May 30, 2013 Adalah and the Negev Coexistence Forum (NCF) published a one-sided and factually inaccurate position paper (funded by the EU), reviewing the “Prawer-Begin Bill and the Forced Displacement of the Bedouin” and accusing Israel of “forcible displacement,” “dispossession,” and attempting to implement “the complete and final severance of the Bedouin’s historical ties to their land.”
- Publishes an online “Discriminatory Laws Database,” that claims to collect “text, analyses, and legal action for present and proposed discriminatory laws in Israel and the OPT [Occupied Palestinian Territories].”
- During the 2014 Gaza War, Adalah submitted a July 22 joint written statement to the UNHRC, "condemn[ing] Israel’s unlawful targeting of civilians," which may "constitute grave violations of international humanitarian law and international criminal law and may amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity." The statement calls on the UNHRC to "[c]ondemn the deliberate, systematic and widespread targeting of Palestinian civilians" and "[e]stablish an independent, international commission of inquiry with the mandate to identify and investigate all violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law committed within the context of Operation Protective Edge in the Gaza Strip."
- Participated in a May 2009 NGO “town hall meeting” in Geneva that helped shape the course of the UN’s Goldstone Mission. Adalah was subsequently cited 38 times in the Goldstone report.
- In its lobbying in support of the Goldstone report and its recommendations, Adalah issued a 2009 press release urging governments to “re-evaluate their relationship with Israel.”
- Adalah officials, in conjunction with radical Palestinian NGO Al-Haq, wrote and edited large portions of a May 2009 pseudo-academic study that refers to “a colonial enterprise which implements a system of apartheid.” The report delegitimizes Israeli self-defense measures as “inhumane act[s] of apartheid...perpetrated in the context of an institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination by one racial group over another.”
- Submitted a legal opinion to a Spanish court in support of PCHR’s 2008 lawfare case against Israeli officials.
- Drafted a 2007 “Democratic Constitution,” which calls for replacing the Jewish foundation of the state with a “democratic, bilingual and multicultural” framework. Jewish immigration would be permitted for “humanitarian reasons.”
- In April 2002, following Israel’s Operation Defensive Shield, Adalah filed a petition falsely alleging that the Israeli army “was collecting dead bodies on the outskirts of the Jenin refugee camp, apparently with the intention of burying them in mass, anonymous or numbered graves.” While the claims were later found to be baseless, the allegations continue to be exploited by anti-Israel organizations in an effort to demonize the state of Israel.
- Adalah Director Hassan Jabareen and several colleagues played an active role in the NGO Forum of the UN World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance (WCAR) held in Durban in 2001, which was organized in an effort to promote the demonization and delegitimization of Israel, and served as the foundation for the boycotts, demonization, and sanctions (BDS) movement.
Foreign donations based on reports to Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits (amounts in NIS)
||First quarter of 2015
|Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (Switzerland)
|Bread for the World-EED (Germany)*
|Broederlijk Delen (Belgium)
|Christian Aid (UK)
|Human Rights and International Law Secretariat (joint funding from Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark and the Netherlands)**
* On August 30, 2012, Brot für die Welt merged with the Church Development Service (Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst-EED) and formed “Brot für die Welt – Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst” (Bread for the World – Evangelical Church Development Service), as part of the new Evangelical Agency for Diakonia and Development (Evangelisches Werk für Diakonie und Entwicklung).
**Until 2014, NDC managed the pooled finances of Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands through its Human Rights/Good Governance program; In 2014, NDC was replaced by NIRAS and Birzeit University, which are managing the government funding under the Human Rights and International Law Secretariat.
- Adalah's Database of Laws: Imagining Racism to Demonize Israel, NGO Monitor Report, November 26, 2014
- Adalah List of 'Discriminatory Laws' is Faulty, Meant to Demonize Israel- Report, Ariel Ben Solomon, The Jerusalem Post, November 25, 2014
- Adalah's Misleading Charges of Racism, NGO Monitor press release, November 26, 2014
- Adalah Staffer Arrested Upon Return From Lebanon, NGO Monitor Report, April 13, 2014
- NGOs and the Negev Bedouin Issue in the Context of Political Warfare, NGO Monitor Reports, November 6, 2013
- The NGO-EU Echo Chamber: Adalah Lobbying in EU Frameworks, NGO Monitor Reports, December 14, 2011
- Adalah: Abusing “Civil Rights” to Delegitimize Israel, NGO Monitor Reports, June 15, 2008
- Adalah proposes new constitution demanding Israel “recognize the right of return” , NGO Monitor Digest (Vol. 5 No. 7), March 20, 2007
- Adalah and the Impact of Legal-based NGOs in the Arab-Israeli Conflict, NGO Monitor Digest (Vol. 2, No. 3), October 23, 2003
Terrorists, Hunger Strikers and NGOs, Gerald Steinberg, August 23, 2015
Adalah Establishes US Office: "This is Where Change Needs to Happen", NGO Monitor report, August 13, 2015
European-Funded NGOs and the Susya Narrative, NGO Monitor factsheet, July 21, 2015
Director-general of Al-Midan Theater Steps Down, Hayah Goldlist-Eichler, The Jerusalem Post, July 5, 2015
Adalah´s Database of Laws: Imagining Racism to Demonize Israel, NGO Monitor report, November 26, 2014
Adalah´s Misleading Charges of Racism, NGO Monitor press release, November 26, 2014
Adalah List of ´Discriminatory Laws´ is Faulty, Meant to Demonize Israel- Report, Ariel Ben Solomon, The Jerusalem Post, November 25, 2014
Rejoinder: Rebuttal of Adalah´s Response to Our Research in the Jerusalem Post, NGO Monitor analysis, November 26, 2014
They´re Palestinians, Not ´Israeli Arabs´, Saree Makdisi, The Los Angeles Times, March 27, 2015