BDS IN THE PEWS
Defence for Children International - Palestine Section
April 23, 2014
- Website: http://www.dci-palestine.org
- Established in 1992, DCI/PS is affiliated with the Geneva-based Defence for Children International, an NGO established in 1979, with consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council, UNICEF, UNESCO, and the Council of Europe.
- Mission: “Promoting and protecting the rights of Palestinian children in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), as well as other international, regional and local standards.”
- Funding: 2012 annual budget of $1,932,540.
- According to its 2012 annual report (latest available, accessed April 22, 2014), acknowledges the support and contributions of: ICCO and Kerk in Actie (Netherlands), Secretariat (joint governments of Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands), EED (Germany), Save the Children International, Stichting Kinderpostzegeks Nederlands (Netherlands), ARCI Cultura e Sviluppo (Italy), Mundubat (Spain), Broederlijk Delen (Belgium), UNDP, European Union, Swiss Interchurch Aid- HEKS, World Vision, The United Methodist Church, The United Church of Canada, Solidarity Fund. Does not disclose donation amounts.
- Known support includes a €600,000 grant from the EU (March 2009 - March 2012) for a project “Promoting and protecting the rights of Palestinian children affected by armed conflict and occupation.” The NGO is also receiving $639,000 from the Secretariat in 2010-2012 and £12,500 from the UK in 2010.
- Political Advocacy: Supports BDS (boycotts, divestments and sanctions) campaigns against Israel and is an active participant in lobbying the UN, EU, and other international bodies to promote this agenda.
- Calls for Israel to “accept historical and legal responsibility for the Nakba, and recognise the principle of the right to return that was endorsed by the United Nations General Assembly in its Resolution No. 194 in 1948.”
- Published a 2009 “urgent appeal,” calling the UN Human Rights Council members to “endorse all the recommendations contained in the Goldstone report…and submit the report to the General Assembly and the Prosecutor of the ICC for appropriate action.”
- Following the 2010 “Free Gaza flotilla,” DCI-PS joined a number of other political advocacy NGOs in petitioning “the international community as a whole,” to “enforce sanctions against Israel until such time as ends the siege of Gaza and the occupation of the occupied Palestinian territories.” The same letter urged the EU to “suspend or cancel the EU-Israel Association Agreement” and demanded that “the UN  act immediately to implement the recommendations of the Goldstone report.”
- Published a list alleging that 352 children died “as a direct result of Israel's military offensive” in the Gaza war. (PCHR claimed that 313 children were killed during the fighting.) Some of the individuals on DCI-PS’ list, such as Ibrahim Mostafa Fraih Sa’id and Ibrahim Abed al-Rahim Rajab Suliman, have been identified by B’Tselem and PCHR as combatants. In these instances, DCI-PS wrote, “Despite DCI-Palestine’s best endeavours to collect affidavits from eyewitnesses to [the child’s] death, no reliable evidence could be gathered.”
- Accused Israel of “deliberate targeting of civilians” in Lebanon, “terrorizing the civilian population” in Gaza, and “collective punishment,” and referred to the Gaza conflict as Israel’s “illegal act of aggression.”
- DCI-PS continues to promote the libel of a “Jenin massacre” on its website, including a statement on the “horror” of the “Israeli army massacre in Jenin refugee camp.”
- An op-ed published by DCI-PS director Rifat Odeh Kassis (March 1, 2011) on Electronic Intifada promoting the antisemitic canard of dual loyalties against Dutch Foreign Minister Uri Rosenthal, characterizing him as “so blind, so brazen, so hypocritical and so unjust.”
- Kassis is also the coordinator and spokesperson for the Kairos Palestine document that advocates BDS targeting Israel, noting that “These advocacy campaigns must be carried out with courage, openly sincerely proclaiming that their object is not revenge but rather to put an end to the existing evil.” In addition to BDS, it reflects supersessionist theology, exploits related themes to demonize Israel, denies the Jewish historical connection to Israel, and ignores the extreme harassment and violence committed by Palestinians against Christians.
- DCI-PS’s board of directors includes Shawan Jabarin (director of Al Haq and board member of HRW), who has been denied exit visas by Israel and Jordan on account of his alleged ties to the PFLP terror group.
- Children's Rights Group Using Blood Libel Against Israel to Raise Money, The Algemeiner, October 3, 2013
- Defence for Children International – Palestine Section (DCI-PS): Summary Report on Political Advocacy and Credibility of Allegations, NGO Monitor Factsheets, August 2, 2012
- Child soldiers of Hamas not the sole victims of a conflict clouded by propaganda, Gerald M. Steinberg, The Australian, December 3, 2011
- NGO and Goldstone Casualty Claims Contradicted, NGO Monitor Reports, December 29, 2010