BDS IN THE PEWS
Breaking the Silence (Shovrim Shtika)
December 29, 2013
- Website: www.shovrimshtika.org
- Registered “company for the benefit of the public” in Israel, founded in 2004.
- Breaking the Silence (BtS) “collects testimonies of soldiers who served in the Occupied Territories during the Second Intifada,” claiming that the “testimonies portray a…grim picture of questionable orders in many areas regarding Palestinian civilians [which] demonstrate the depth of corruption which is spreading in the Israeli military…Israeli society continues to turn a blind eye, and to deny that which happens in its name.”
- Funding: 2012 income of NIS 3,726,988 million.
- Based on financial information submitted to the Israeli Registrar of Non-Profits, in accordance with the Israeli NGO transparency law, BtS received NIS 819,100 from foreign governmental bodies in the first half of 2013 (accessed December 29, 2013). (Quarterly reports for 2012 are not available on the Registrar's website).
- 2012/3 donors include AECID (Spain), European Union, ICCO (Netherlands), Broederlijk Delen (Belgium), Open Society Institute (US), Christian Aid (UK), DanChurchAid, New Israel Fund, Medico International, Trocaire (Ireland), and Norway (see chart below).
- Political Advocacy: The NGO was active in promoting “war crimes” charges against Israel after the Gaza fighting in January 2009. These charges were based on anonymous and unverifiable hearsay “testimonies.”
- In 2010 BtS published a highly tendentious book titled Occupation of the Territories - Israeli Soldier testimonies 2000-2010, which claimed to provide a counter to the “official Israeli position” on IDF actions in the territories. NGO Monitor analysis has revealed that this book was rife with methodological problems and appeared to tailor the testimonies to predetermined “analyses” that falsely claimed that Israeli actions are not aimed at self-defense but at “terrorizing the civilian population.”
- This book was later re-published under the title Our Harsh Logic and translated into Swedish, German, and Dutch. The launching of the book in the various languages served as a platform for further demonization and delegitmization of Israel, including accusations of “racism” and alleged “political assassinations” of Palestinians, claims that Gaza is still “occupied,” and implying that Israel is ethnically cleansing “area C.”
- Analysis by Amos Harel in Ha’aretz: “Breaking the Silence...has a clear political agenda, and can no longer be classed as a ‘human rights organization.’ Any organization whose website includes the claim by members to expose the ‘corruption which permeates the military system’ is not a neutral observer. The organization has a clear agenda: to expose the consequences of IDF troops serving in the West Bank and Gaza. This seems more of interest to its members than seeking justice for specific injustices.” (July 17, 2009)
- Although claiming to address Israeli society, the NGO’s lobbying and media advocacy focus on international audiences, including presentations in Europe and the United States. Yehuda Shaul, BtS co-founder, defended this practice: “Sometimes, when you want to deliver messages to the inside, you must go outside.”
- BtS members and anti-Israel activists Yonatan and Itamar Shapira were on the “Jews for Justice for Palestinians” boat “Irene,” which sought to violate Israel’s security-based policies regarding naval traffic into Gaza (September 2010).
- During a BtS event at a museum in Sweden (March 2011), Itamar Shapira stated that “We [Israelis] are creating the terror against us.”
- Conducts tours to Hebron and the South Hebron Hills to “witness first hand the dire situation.” Criticized by Israeli police officials for “antagoniz[ing]...settlers in the hope that the settlers will attack them.”
|2012 Donors (partial list)
||Amount (in NIS)
|Delegation of the EU to Israel
|NGO Development Center (NDC)
|Royal Norwegian Embassy in Tel Aviv
|Dan Church Aid
|New Israel Fund
|Open Society Institute
Breaking the Silence Essentials:
- Breaking the Silence is Part of the Problem in the Israel Debate, Josh Bacon, The Jewish Chronicle, January 6, 2014
- Why Are European Powers (and Oxfam) Funding a Radical Israeli Group?, Jake Wallis Simons, The Telegraph, December 17, 2013
- Reality Contrasts Sharply with Anti-Israel Propaganda, Gerald Steinberg, The Canadian Jewish News, November 10, 2013
- Group's Message Emboldens Enemies, Delegitimizes Israel, Naftali Balanson, J Weekly, November 22, 2013
- Jewish Student Union Votes to Deny Membership to J Street U, The Daily Californian, October 8, 2013
- Breaking the Silence's International Activities: September 2012-November 2013, NGO Monitor Reports, October 24, 2013
- Breaking what silence?, Gerald M. Steinberg, Jerusalem Post, September 12, 2012
- Breaking the Silence and NIF Tell Australian Jews to "Pay Up and Shut Up", Gerald M. Steinberg and Naftali Balanson, J-Wire, August 30, 2012
- Breaking the Silence Outside of Israel, NGO Monitor Reports, November 29, 2011
- Mouthpieces for Europe, Anne Herzberg and Naftali Balanson, Ynetnews.com, November 20, 2011
- Breaking the Silence in Sweden: "We are creating the terror against us, basically", NGO Monitor Analysis, March 19, 2011
- Breaking What Silence? A Critical Reading of Allegations from "Breaking the Silence" NGO Monitor Reports, February 1, 2011